News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Germans - unprincipled profiteers?

Started by Martinus, July 04, 2011, 02:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The Poles are the Jews of Europe. Only, in general, less business savvy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I find Mart's threads strangely homoerratic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on July 04, 2011, 07:09:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2011, 03:53:32 PM
With Saddam no longer in Iraq, and revolutions brewing across the middle east, arms sales to Saudi Arabia are looking a lot more dodgy than before.
They're still locked in a regional cold war with Iran.

That is true, but they don't have a land border with Iran. In the event there is a ground war involving Iran attacking Saudi Arabia either amphibiously or through another country, I would think the US would be in position to stymie the attack (if we are on their side--in 10-15 years who knows how things will have changed).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 06:37:41 AM
That is true, but they don't have a land border with Iran. In the event there is a ground war involving Iran attacking Saudi Arabia either amphibiously or through another country, I would think the US would be in position to stymie the attack (if we are on their side--in 10-15 years who knows how things will have changed).
That's no problem. I am sure we can sell them ships, jets and missles too.  :P

But they need those tanks to roll over Bahraini democratic protestors fight evil terrorists.

We need to find new markets now that our best weapons customer, Greeece, is bankrupt. I fully expect that Angie will soon start lobbying in the EU to lift the arms embargo on China.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2011, 02:58:47 PM
Now, the first female Chancellor and the first gay minister selling tanks to the Saudis.
Why single out the Germans? Everyone's selling military hardware to the Saudis, they're the only country still buying big. After Eritrea, which is a statistical anomaly, Saudi Arabia spends the most on arms per capita in the world, followed by Oman, the UAE and Israel. Arms exports are the only thing keeping European arms manufacturers, and industry in general, ticking over.

Viking

Virulently anti-semitic and homophobic supremacists equipped with the best german made panzers. How can that possibly go wrong.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Well they are going to buy them somewhere.  Might as well be from the Germans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2011, 08:45:51 AM

It is a smart purchase. You know the Germans always make good stuff.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 09:41:15 AM
Their cars are pretty crap.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 10:16:43 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 09:41:15 AM
Their cars are pretty crap.

Is this because in Alberta if it isn't an F150 or a Silverado it is crap?

DGuller

They are simple people, they don't know how to take care of refined equipment.  German cars need to be maintained, you need to periodically change their oil, engine, and transmission, if you want them to keep runnig.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
They are simple people, they don't know how to take care of refined equipment.  German cars need to be maintained, you need to periodically change their oil, engine, and transmission, if you want them to keep runnig.
:lol:  Yeah, that was my experience, as well, with two Volkswagens.   Didn't have many transmission problems, but I might have just been lucky.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

As I seem to have mini hijacked the thread with the statement, "You know the Germans always make good stuff," I want to mention that I was quoting the sham wow guy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
you need to periodically change their oil, engine, and transmission, if you want them to keep runnig.

And I thought my old dodge caravan was bad.  Never actually had to change the engine or the transmission - sold it for scrap before it came to that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 05, 2011, 08:34:33 AM
Virulently anti-semitic and homophobic supremacists equipped with the best german made panzers. How can that possibly go wrong.

Well, it's likely the tanks sold are export versions and not the best.  If the Saudi Army is anything like other Arab armies, their crews won't be fully trained on the equipment either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017