Germans - unprincipled profiteers?

Started by Martinus, July 04, 2011, 02:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 10:22:09 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 10:16:43 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 09:41:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2011, 08:45:51 AM
Well they are going to buy them somewhere.  Might as well be from the Germans.
It is a smart purchase. You know the Germans always make good stuff.
Their cars are pretty crap.
Is this because in Alberta if it isn't an F150 or a Silverado it is crap?
Not really.  Myself, I prefer cars to trucks, although the extremes in temperature often result in some rough roads in the cities.  The problem is that German cars simply aren't as good as Fords or Nissans and you pay a premium for them, as well as for maintenance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 05, 2011, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 05, 2011, 08:34:33 AM
Virulently anti-semitic and homophobic supremacists equipped with the best german made panzers. How can that possibly go wrong.

Well, it's likely the tanks sold are export versions and not the best.  If the Saudi Army is anything like other Arab armies, their crews won't be fully trained on the equipment either.
Yeah, Arabs never get a premium account.

Martim Silva

Saudi Arabia is still in talks with Russia about the T-90S, and previously they were dealing with the US.

It seems that their purchases are dictated by political interests (rewarding countries who cooperate with them), and not by military concerns.

Razgovory

If you are an arms importer you want to diversify the weapons you get.  You don't want to go to war and find your main supplier doesn't approve and has decided to stop selling spare parts.  The Iranians had this problem in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
They are simple people, they don't know how to take care of refined equipment.  German cars need to be maintained, you need to periodically change their oil, engine, and transmission, if you want them to keep runnig.

The Saudis hire Philipinos or Bengalis  or the like to do stuff like that for them.

Which doesn't mean that the people they hire necessarily really know what they're doing either.