The trial that never ends comes to an end.

Started by Razgovory, July 04, 2011, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will she be found guilty?

Guilty!
9 (50%)
Not guilty!
5 (27.8%)
Hung jury!
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on July 07, 2011, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
Is being insane enough of a reason to be taken off a jury?  I've never been called up. :(

Usually, yeah.  Requires a doctor's note of mental or physical disability.
http://www.fultoncourt.org/sca200807/documents-and-forms/cat_view/70-jury-service.html

Oooh!  I have that.  Maybe that's why I never get called up. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Members of the Maryland state Senate are considering introducing legislation to make it a felony not to report the death of a child.

Quote"You wouldn't think that you would actually have to require a parent or guardian to report a child missing or dead, but we're in an age where there is a need here."

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2011, 05:40:11 PMThis case was made solid enough to point in any number of directions the jury wanted to take it;  they simply chose not to.

By the prosecution, or by the media?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on July 07, 2011, 06:42:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2011, 05:40:11 PMThis case was made solid enough to point in any number of directions the jury wanted to take it;  they simply chose not to.

By the prosecution, or by the media?

Go fuck an unreported dead toddler.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2011, 06:02:08 PM
Members of the Maryland state Senate are considering introducing legislation to make it a felony not to report the death of a child.

Quote"You wouldn't think that you would actually have to require a parent or guardian to report a child missing or dead, but we're in an age where there is a need here."
That's because normally parents, you know, give a flying fuck about their childrens' welfare. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Posturing.  Enacting one "bystander law" would set a really crappy precedent- Florida didn't even try after a crowd watched a 13-year-old girl getting gang-raped.
Experience bij!

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 07, 2011, 07:01:44 PM

Posturing.  Enacting one "bystander law" would set a really crappy precedent- Florida didn't even try after a crowd watched a 13-year-old girl getting gang-raped.
Shame on Florida then.

When was this? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Stonewall

Apparently, they learned their lesson.  Just this morning "Caylee's Law" was being introduced to make if a felony not to report your child missing or dead with one hour of knowing or should have knowing that they are missing or dead.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2011, 01:56:48 AM

Apparently, they learned their lesson.  Just this morning "Caylee's Law" was being introduced to make if a felony not to report your child missing or dead with one hour of knowing or should have knowing that they are missing or dead.
That'll be a bit hard to prove in a lot of cases won't it? And what about the age of the child? If you don't know where your 17 year old son is for an hour you're supposed to call the cops? That's a bit crazy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Most laws originating in moral panic are, in fact, stupid.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on July 08, 2011, 04:45:10 AM
Most laws originating in moral panic are, in fact, stupid.
Truer words have never been spoken.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: Jimmy OrtizThat'll be a bit hard to prove in a lot of cases won't it? And what about the age of the child? If you don't know where your 17 year old son is for an hour you're supposed to call the cops? That's a bit crazy.

It might be far too easy to prove.  See my reply to Stonewall below.

Should have known?  A reasonable person standard, then?  I'm not very comfortable with that in a criminal statute that dictates an affirmative duty.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

One after after going missing?  That's a shitload of calls for the coppers to handle.

Stonewall

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2011, 06:17:43 AMShould have known?  A reasonable person standard, then?  I'm not very comfortable with that in a criminal statute that dictates an affirmative duty.

I'm incredibly uncomfortable with it.   Here is the blurb from the Orlando Sentinel about the upcoming legislation.  It's not in its final form and I suspect some changes will come to it.  But, it is even broader and vaguer than I remembered.

QuoteIn light of the not guilty verdict handed down by jurors yesterday in the Casey Anthony trial, Rep. Bill Hager, R-Boca Raton, announced he is drafting legislation to create "Caylee's Law."

The bill would make it a felony for a parent or legal guardian to fail to timely report a missing child, in cases where the parent knew or should have known that the child was possibly in danger.

"What we witnessed in the case of two year old Caylee Anthony was truly tragic," Hager said in a press release. "Placing a law on the books requiring parents and guardians to report missing children who are in significant danger in a timely manner will ensure that parents are held accountable for their actions. It will also assure that we put justice on the side of those among us who are most vulnerable. And finally, it will put an end to the kind of irresponsible and outrageous behavior we observed with Caylee's mother."
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."