The trial that never ends comes to an end.

Started by Razgovory, July 04, 2011, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will she be found guilty?

Guilty!
9 (50%)
Not guilty!
5 (27.8%)
Hung jury!
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on July 06, 2011, 04:52:48 PM
I assumed you were the one being acquitted.  :blush:

:lol: Not yet, inshallah.  I also wanted to troll Beeb a bit but he's too busy with his serious lawyer discussions to react to a scrub like me.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 06, 2011, 05:26:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 06, 2011, 04:52:48 PM
I assumed you were the one being acquitted.  :blush:

:lol: Not yet, inshallah.  I also wanted to troll Beeb a bit but he's too busy with his serious lawyer discussions to react to a scrub like me.   :(

That's not much of a troll.  I'm sure the words "Not Guilty" are wonderful to hear when you're on that side of the courtroom.  Congrats! :yeah:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Stonewall on July 06, 2011, 10:11:17 AM
State fucked the case up from the beginning by filing it as a death case.  While you are more likely to get a conservative/pro-law and order jury by seeking death (people opposed to the death penalty are disqualified from sitting on death penalty cases) you also raise the bar on what such a prospective jury wants to hear.  When the stakes are execution, people want to be convinced of guilt more than they ordinarily would be.

Thing is, unlike some states where the state will roll for capital and nothing else, and be locked in on only one possibility, all the possible options were available; the jury had virtually the entire sliding-scale spectrum to choose from: felony murder, first degree murder, second degree murder, and aggravated manslaughter. This wasn't a case of either/or.

We've seen murder convictions without a fucking body, so I don't give a fuck about that ZOMG WE DOAN NO HOW TEH KID DYED bullshit.  You can convict on enough circumstantial evidence.

This case was made solid enough to point in any number of directions the jury wanted to take it;  they simply chose not to.

Admiral Yi

It looks like the broad will have to live under police protection the rest of her life.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2011, 05:47:35 PM
It looks like the broad will have to live under police protection the rest of her life.
nah, soon we'll be onto the next killer chick.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 05:52:24 PM

Betcha someone takes a crack at her in the next five years.

If I win, you have to give Raz a foot massage.

I you win, you don't have to.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2011, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 05:52:24 PM

Betcha someone takes a crack at her in the next five years.

If I win, you have to give Raz a foot massage.

I you win, you don't have to.
:Lol:

Have the ramsies or that lady who drowned her kids in her car ever been attacked?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Caliga

The lady that drowned her kids in her car is in prison, and AFAIK has never been attacked.  I assume you are referring to Susan Smith of South Carolina.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:04:23 PM
The lady that drowned her kids in her car is in prison, and AFAIK has never been attacked.  I assume you are referring to Susan Smith of South Carolina.
i thought she got off? was there more then one?

HVC

in Canadian news a doctor got sent to the psych ward instead of jail for stabbing his two kids.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 06:08:40 PM
in Canadian news a doctor got sent to the psych ward instead of jail for stabbing his two kids.
Yeah, but that's Quebec.  They do Eurojustice there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
Thing is, unlike some states where the state will roll for capital and nothing else, and be locked in on only one possibility, all the possible options were available; the jury had virtually the entire sliding-scale spectrum to choose from: felony murder, first degree murder, second degree murder, and aggravated manslaughter. This wasn't a case of either/or.

We've seen murder convictions without a fucking body, so I don't give a fuck about that ZOMG WE DOAN NO HOW TEH KID DYED bullshit.  You can convict on enough circumstantial evidence.

This case was made solid enough to point in any number of directions the jury wanted to take it;  they simply chose not to.
The jury cannot take the case in any direction they want.  They had to take it in the direction the prosecution to them to take it, or not at all.  The prosecution told the jury to find that she killed her kid, or else acquit.  And then they conceded that there was no evidence she had anything to do with the death of the kid, except covering it up after the fact (which the jury convicted her of).

The jury wasn't allowed to find the kid's grandfather, grandmother, uncle, or aunt of murder, even though there was as much evidence against each of them as against the defendant.  You can, indeed, convict on circumstantial evidence, under some circumstances.  Had there been real circumstantial evidence in this case, that observation might even have a bearing on it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 06:24:02 PM
Had there been real circumstantial evidence in this case, that observation might even have a bearing on it.

Well, there was more than enough for me. Harumph.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2011, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:04:23 PM
i thought she got off? was there more then one?

Maybe you are thinking of Andrea Yates.  She was found insane (which isn't exactly like getting off).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 05:01:08 PM
Is being insane enough of a reason to be taken off a jury?  I've never been called up. :(

Usually, yeah.  Requires a doctor's note of mental or physical disability.
http://www.fultoncourt.org/sca200807/documents-and-forms/cat_view/70-jury-service.html