Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on July 16, 2014, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2014, 05:57:09 PM
Quote from: dps on July 16, 2014, 05:56:03 PM
Yesterday, I was supposed to be off work, but had to go in for about 3 hours for a meeting.  Left the house at about 1 PM, and it was 97 with mostly clear skies.  Three hours later, when I left work, a cold front had moved through and it was very overcast and the temperature had dropped to 77.

So progress.  :bowler:

??

77 > 97   :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quite hot and humid for Southern England, 75F at near midnight.

The front that's just come in is threatening to rain, but failing, could do with a good thunderstorm to clear the air.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Wow, that was some thunderstorm that just passed by 2-3 mile distant; I've seen many hundreds of lightning strikes over the last hour, most un- :bowler:

mongers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28361254

Lightning struck more than 3,000 times in two hours in the UK, as a heatwave warning remains in place for parts of the country.

Storms hit southern England overnight, and BBC Weather said the rain would move north across the UK during Friday.

Grey Fox

The Polar Vortex is leaving us :(

That was the best July weather ever.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2014, 08:47:29 AM
The Polar Vortex is leaving us :(

That was the best July weather ever.

Same here, but we have a couple more days of highs in the 70s.  Then it creeps back into the 80s on Sunday and a high of 90 Tuesday.  I'll enjoy the next few days while they last.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Heatwave continues. If this is a sign of how future summers will be I'll have to go American and invest in an A/C.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2014, 05:51:10 AM
Heatwave continues. If this is a sign of how future summers will be I'll have to go American and invest in an A/C.

Same here, too hot. 

Looks like the local weather station recorded the country's highest temperature yesterday, a rather unpleasant 32c <_<

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2014, 05:51:10 AM

Guess le Comte de Buffon was wrong about Denmark, the country without sun so that blacks could turn back into whites if moved back there (without miscegenation). Given time of course. How many generations?

Sheilbh

Massively muggy and hot here. Uncomfortably so. I can't even sleep.

I'm thinking of buying a ceiling fan. Though I suspect that may be an overreaction to a particularly hot fortnight <_< :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

The biggest downside of my new apartment in the summer is that I can't get a draft going.

On the plus side, when it's 32° outside, I will have 28° inside.

On the minus side, this temperature persists through the night. It's currently 22° outside, and still 26° inside, even though I've had windows and the door to the hallway for an hour now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

30° at 1pm, and we're getting thunderstorms already. If they're anything like in the last weeks, they won't cool of anything and just make things moist and steamy (and not in a sexy way).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2014, 06:24:23 AM
30° at 1pm, and we're getting thunderstorms already. If they're anything like in the last weeks, they won't cool of anything and just make things moist and steamy (and not in a sexy way).

:(

Finally today we're getting some cooler weather off the North-West Atlantic/Irish sea; temperatures down form 30+ to mid-20s, now I can breath.

Syt

I feel like I should sit in white linen clothes, sipping tea, and reading a novel about the futility of life set in some early 20th century monsoon plagued colony while Enrico Caruso blares from the gramophone.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2014, 06:48:24 AM
I feel like I should sit in white linen clothes, sipping tea, and reading a novel about the futility of life set in some early 20th century monsoon plagued colony while Enrico Caruso blares from the gramophone.

Thats conjours up the deleted* scene from 'Apocalypse Now' where they come across the long forgotten isolated French colonials.

* I think it was in the much longer Redux cut.