News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

People in Massachusetts like to pretend there is no need for a/c.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

I imagine that is something they share with old England these days.  :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2018, 12:32:11 PM
<_< :P

Don't worry...in a couple weeks I get to suffer as well. 

garbon

Oh you mean after the heat is gone? :D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2018, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2018, 12:32:11 PM
<_< :P

Don't worry...in a couple weeks I get to suffer as well.

The proper, English, thing to do is to live in a  damp draughty old house with inadequate insulation and heating; that way you can suffer from the cold even though it rarely dips below freezing  :cool:

KRonn

Quote from: Liep on September 04, 2018, 09:50:44 PM
Boston is too hot. Yesterday was crazy and today was only  mildly crazy, tomorrow will apparently top at 31 which is still too hot. On average the AC here isn't as good as in NY

We've had a very hot summer, more so than usual. Last summer was a bit opposite, or more like normal. Some of my neighbors have central a/c, many, such as myself, don't. I usually have an a/c in a couple of windows, bedroom and kitchen, and it's usually ok with overhead fans but this summer was a bit trying. I have several more a/c units but haven't used them in other rooms in years, and don't usually need to. When working outside I do like to have the a/c on in the kitchen so I can come in to cool down.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2018, 12:18:48 PM

Heh, we needed it this summer for sure! Most businesses and stores are air conditioned, but many homes are not. I was surprised to see that my old grade school has no central a/c, just some a/c units were hanging in windows. But I don't remember as a kid being that affected by the heat. Seems that became more an issue as I got older.  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on September 08, 2018, 07:23:57 AM

Heh, we needed it this summer for sure! Most businesses and stores are air conditioned, but many homes are not. I was surprised to see that my old grade school has no central a/c, just some a/c units were hanging in windows. But I don't remember as a kid being that affected by the heat. Seems that became more an issue as I got older.  :hmm:

Kronn, welcome to the club.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Also something for Garbon to wonder at:

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2018, 07:17:47 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 08, 2018, 07:23:57 AM

Kronn, welcome to the club.

:D

Hehe, really! It's such a change as I remember enjoying being out in the sun playing sports, going to the beach, other stuff. Now I shudder at the thought of being out in hot/humid weather for too long, or even going to the beach and baking in the sun.  :)

jimmy olsen

Looks like Hurricane Florence is going to hit the Carolinas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 10, 2018, 01:52:20 AM
Looks like Hurricane Florence is going to hit the Carolinas.

Yeah, and likely remain strong or intensify. I saw on the news that some areas of those states are planning for a large movement of people away from the coast lines to the interior of the states.

Syt

Vienna sets a new record for summer days (temps over 25°C): 108 so far, with more to come (we're getting 29/30 degrees tomorrow and Thursday).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2018, 09:49:19 AM
Vienna sets a new record for summer days (temps over 25°C): 108 so far, with more to come (we're getting 29/30 degrees tomorrow and Thursday).

:bleeding:

Good grief.