The trial that never ends comes to an end.

Started by Razgovory, July 04, 2011, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will she be found guilty?

Guilty!
9 (50%)
Not guilty!
5 (27.8%)
Hung jury!
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Barrister

I don't see the problem with such a law, however I don't entirely see the point of it.

So you ding the mother for failing to report her missing child.  Big deal - it sure isn't going to carry the same sentence as a murder conviction.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Stonewall

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 09:35:49 AM
I don't see the problem with such a law, however I don't entirely see the point of it.

So you ding the mother for failing to report her missing child.  Big deal - it sure isn't going to carry the same sentence as a murder conviction.

It would carry a 5 year prison sentence.  So, while not the same as a murder conviction, 5 years is still a long time.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2011, 09:36:36 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 09:35:49 AM

It would carry a 5 year prison sentence.  So, while not the same as a murder conviction, 5 years is still a long time.

In the US. In Canada, it'd be 4 weekends.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2011, 01:56:48 AM
Apparently, they learned their lesson.  Just this morning "Caylee's Law" was being introduced to make if a felony not to report your child missing or dead with one hour of knowing or should have knowing that they are missing or dead.

That's a ridiculous and ignorant law. Within one hour of "knowing or should have knowing they are missing"? My son walks out the door to go to a friend's house two doors down while I'm downstairs doing laundry. I come upstairs, no idea where he is, and if he doesn't answer his cell within one hour, I have to call 911 and report a missing person? Just to have him saunter into the house a couple of hours later wondering what the hell is going on?

What a fucking waste of time, money, and energy for everyone.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

I still say it's posturing.  The parents automatically have an affirmative duty to care for children as legal guardians- given that the safety of the child is their responsibility, aren't there already criminal negligence statutes that could be invoked without creating a bystander law?
Experience bij!