And we're back!

Main Menu

Slavery in the US in 1861 - question

Started by viper37, June 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2011, 07:06:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 06:53:28 PM
I fail to see how it's that's relevant.  You said something could not be, and it was.  There was nothing "special" about the circumstances.
I am not sure what this argument is about.  Iron making isn't "industrial" except in the grossest sense.  The Pharaohs had those kinds of "industries" and probably used slaves to stoke the furnaces back then, too.

How would you characterize an Ironworks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:12:28 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 06:59:33 PM

Yet they didn't choose to invest in manufacturing using slaves, preferring to use free men in the north.

Probably had more to do with transportation and proximity to customers.

So the south did not consume steel or cloth or any industrial products?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 07:16:20 PM

Yet they didn't choose to invest in manufacturing using slaves, preferring to use free men in the north.

Not to the same extent, no.  The South had little in the way of urban population.  Most people where rural farmers.  Not only where they typically dirt poor, but it was hard to transport goods to them.  It didn't help that the Southern rail net was a bit chaotic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 07:16:20 PM

Not to the same extent, no.  The South had little in the way of urban population.  Most people where rural farmers.  Not only where they typically dirt poor, but it was hard to transport goods to them.  It didn't help that the Southern rail net was a bit chaotic.

So, you are suggesting that the confederate states were self sufficient in industrial goods pre war?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 07:36:36 PM

So, you are suggesting that the confederate states were self sufficient in industrial goods pre war?

Nope.  I'm suggesting that many Southerners just had to with out.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:39:21 PM

Yet again you are nothing more than a massive digression. We were discussing if industrialization led to abolition.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:15:16 PM
An establishment where iron is smelted or where heavy iron products are made.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2011, 07:49:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:15:16 PM
An establishment where iron is smelted or where heavy iron products are made.

What kind of business would that be?  Agricultural?  Service?

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 07:44:02 PM

Yet again you are nothing more than a massive digression. We were discussing if industrialization led to abolition.

Then don't ask me questions if you don't want to read the answer.

grumbler

Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond was one of the places that attempted to use slaves in skilled industrial work, and it failed.  Quality was simply not adequate, even though its manager abandoned chattel slavery and paid the slaves for hours worked - over 60 per week!  :lol:

Slaves are saboteurs, as I noted earlier.  That is why the South couldn't industrialize using slaves and wouldn't have been able to mechanize farming with slaves.

With the Southerners unable to blackmail the North into enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act, the South would have been hard pressed to hold on to its slaves.  The more skilled the Southerners tried to make them as part of an industrial revolution, the more likely the slave could get a better job if he escaped, and the more incentive to do so (and for Northerners to help). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:54:34 PM
What kind of business would that be?  Agricultural?  Service?
probably not.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2011, 07:56:47 PM
Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond was one of the places that attempted to use slaves in skilled industrial work, and it failed.  Quality was simply not adequate, even though its manager abandoned chattel slavery and paid the slaves for hours worked - over 60 per week!  :lol:

Slaves are saboteurs, as I noted earlier.  That is why the South couldn't industrialize using slaves and wouldn't have been able to mechanize farming with slaves.

With the Southerners unable to blackmail the North into enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act, the South would have been hard pressed to hold on to its slaves.  The more skilled the Southerners tried to make them as part of an industrial revolution, the more likely the slave could get a better job if he escaped, and the more incentive to do so (and for Northerners to help).

When did Tredgar abandon slavery?

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Looking around it was going on in 1861 and I have no reference to the voluntary abolition of the practice.  In fact, it was apparently quite profitable.  Cases of industrial slavery have been documented in the modern day in East Asia.  Sweatshops and a brick manufacturer in China.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:55:51 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 07:44:02 PM

Then don't ask me questions if you don't want to read the answer.

advice worth taking it seems...