Main Menu

Slavery in the US in 1861 - question

Started by viper37, June 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Context, from the American Civil War thread:

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 27, 2011, 01:10:27 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 12:32:34 PM

A  Quick Union Victory in 1861 would in my view more likely result in a  quick abolition of slavery. No longer needing to placate the border  states after the quick victory and a republican congress refusing to  seat pro-slavery secessionists abolition would have happened quickly as  part of the terms of surrender. I agree, however, that this abolition  would have been performed on southern terms, though on a northern  timetable. More than likely there would be compensation and/or time  limited indentured service of some kind. Slavery was dead as soon as the  south took up arms.

Slavery was dead before  the South took up arms. It was only a matter of time. Quick victory  might have had the effect of dragging out the status quo though, IMO.

So, please enlighten me, how was slavery dead before the South took up arms?  I thought the whole issue was about preventing its export into newer territories?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Wishful thinking.  Slavery was far more entrenched in 1861 than it had been in 1800.

Heck even after it was outlawed it really just kept right on going through share croping and other such loop holes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM
So, please enlighten me, how was slavery dead before the South took up arms?  I thought the whole issue was about preventing its export into newer territories?
Thee issue wasn't the expansion of slavery per se, but the retention by slaveholders of their ability to block legislation via their seats in the Senate.  They had to make sure they got their "fair share" of new Senate seats.

Slavery was dead because it was inefficient in the machine age.  One of the reasons the South seceded when it did was because its leaders recognized they were failing to keep the industrial revolution out of the South, and the industrial revolution spelled the doom of the planter aristocracy's monopoly on political power.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

It's an open question how long slavery would have lasted without a war, but, yeah, it would have eventually been ended one way or another.

I tend to be of the rather pessimistic view that it would have taken another 60 years or so to die out.  We had a poll about it on the old forum, and as I recall, most weren't as pessimistic and thought would have ended within 30 years.

MadImmortalMan

It did grow after 1800, but it had already hit its peak by 1861 and was destined to become extinct on its own. I'm one who thought 30 years would probably be all it had left, but if it were still in place by the time we got the turn of the century peaks in immigration from Europe that would have been the final nail. Look what happened in Brazil.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

Slavery could have continued for four or five more decades killed either economically with the invention of cotton picking machinery or socially with conversion to industry. Seccession also made it was unsustainable with the south having a 3 thousand mile frontier with a free country refusing to return escaped slaves. King Cotton diplomacy showed clearly that the south would not have survived a abolitionist motivated boycott and conversion to egyptian and indian cotton. 

I sort of expect that every grain barge from ohio to new orleans would return north with quite a few escaped slaves on board protected by a USA flag on what any secession agreement would be the international waterway that is the mississippi.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 04:26:16 PM
Slavery could have continued for four or five more decades killed either economically with the invention of cotton picking machinery or socially with conversion to industry.

Cotton pickers didn't really take off until the 1950s.  The sharecropping scheme came before that.  Slavery might have been seen as competitive to sharecropping.  And industry took even later to come to the South.

Razgovory

Sharecropping was never as profitable as slave owning.  Slavery would have continued in the South so long as the states were allowed to decide if it was legal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on June 27, 2011, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 04:26:16 PM
Slavery could have continued for four or five more decades killed either economically with the invention of cotton picking machinery or socially with conversion to industry.

Cotton pickers didn't really take off until the 1950s.  The sharecropping scheme came before that.  Slavery might have been seen as competitive to sharecropping.  And industry took even later to come to the South.
Mechanical cotton pickers existed in the 1800s, but weren't economically feasible due to the low price of cotton and the cheapness of the labor, two things that might have been changed by a quick end to the war.  Mechanization of cotton historically came about as a result of the need for cotton growers to get their costs below that of the synthetic fibers, which didn't start to see large-scale global production until WW2.  I don't think the sharecropping system would have sprung up if emancipation had been accompanied by compensation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

I hear the argument that slavery is automatically obsolete with the advent of industrialization all the time, but am unsure what rationale it's based on.  Why is it impossible for a slave to run a mechanical loom?  Or, for that matter, a T-34 assembly line or a V-2 factory?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
I hear the argument that slavery is automatically obsolete with the advent of industrialization all the time, but am unsure what rationale it's based on.  Why is it impossible for a slave to run a mechanical loom?  Or, for that matter, a T-34 assembly line or a V-2 factory?

Agricultural chattel slavery is possible because of the remoteness of the location and the lack of access to transport.

Totalitarian slave industry is possible in guarded camps in remote locations making special goods with three distinct disadvantages
1) The necessity of having armed guards to keep the prisoners from revolting
2) The quick wastage (death) of craftsmen
3) The extra cost of transport for being in remote locations
Totalitarian slave industry is only possible when the state is willing to bear the extra costs for political or war reasons. Note, slaves did not make T-34s, slaves worked the mines supplying the steel smelters supplying the tractor factories making T-34s. The V-2 Concentration Camp inmates were being quickly worked to death.

To have competitive industry you need
1) motivated and trained workers
2) good communications to suppliers and markets

Chattel Slave Industry takes away the two most important control measures over the slaves, the inability to escape and the ability to punish. You can't whip a loom operator and replace him with a "field nigger" on the loom for the two weeks he needs to recover from the whipping. Slaves who worked as overseers were already getting special privileges. What do you call a group of skilled slave loom operators demanding special privileges? Oh, yes, you call that a Union.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Er, the South wasn't really remote geographically.  And they had slaves working in industrial jobs as well http://freeuniv.com/mirror/h101w11.htm
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
Think about it; you have two factories, one run by slaves and one by paid workers.

The machinery in both plants is identical, and will work well only so long as it is properly used and looked after. 

The free worker knows that, if his machine breaks, he is out of a job until it is fixed.  So, he wants to take care of his machine so he can continue to get paid - his best interets are served when the machine is working.

The slave,  also knows that, if his machine breaks, he is out of a job until it is fixed.  So, he wants to break his machine so he can avoid work - his best interets are served when the machine is broken. 

Every chattel slave is a saboteur.  In the fields, there is little to sabotage.  In the factory, there is lots.

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 05:58:09 PM
Er, the South wasn't really remote geographically.  And they had slaves working in industrial jobs as well http://freeuniv.com/mirror/h101w11.htm

The individual plantations rather than the country itself. The remoteness I refer to is the remoteness of the backwater plantations that most slaves lived on. Your reference doesn't list any manufacturing and has a very broad definition of industry (including tobacco curing among others).

Razgovory

QuoteXI. Iron works huge employers of slaves: Across the south about 10,000 slaves worked producing iron.

Sounds like manufacturing to me.