News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dont' bring manga into Canada

Started by Josephus, June 25, 2011, 07:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2011, 07:18:24 PM
Are the guns minor children?

Apparently on the video game front, Alito said that we're approach the age when a child will be able to feel the splatter of blood on his face and hands while playing a video game. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2011, 03:08:02 PM
I wouldn't say that a defendant is cheated when he or she trades a 5% chance of acquittal and a 95% chance of going to gaol for ten years for a 100% chance of only going to gaol for two, or one, or none.

It could be argued that the public interest is cheated in those circumstances, though.  But I can see why a prosecutor who knows that the accused is guilty of a crime for which they'd get 10-15 years, but wasn''t sure he could get a conviction would be willing to accept a plea to a charge that would get them 2-5 instead.

I don't have a problem with plea bargains in theory, but I don't think they should be so common that they're almost standard operating procedure, which appears to be the case in many jurisdictions.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on June 28, 2011, 07:44:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2011, 03:08:02 PM
I wouldn't say that a defendant is cheated when he or she trades a 5% chance of acquittal and a 95% chance of going to gaol for ten years for a 100% chance of only going to gaol for two, or one, or none.

It could be argued that the public interest is cheated in those circumstances, though.  But I can see why a prosecutor who knows that the accused is guilty of a crime for which they'd get 10-15 years, but wasn''t sure he could get a conviction would be willing to accept a plea to a charge that would get them 2-5 instead.

I don't have a problem with plea bargains in theory, but I don't think they should be so common that they're almost standard operating procedure, which appears to be the case in many jurisdictions.

It's also an efficiency thing.  Which I can see why someone might think sucks, but on the other hand it's a real concern in a world with finite resources.

Quote from: garbonApparently on the video game front, Alito said that we're approach the age when a child will be able to feel the splatter of blood on his face and hands while playing a video game. :o

That's not the first thing I would use a holodeck for, but it might be the second. :punk:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)