Bachmann running neck and neck with Romney in Iowa

Started by jimmy olsen, June 27, 2011, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on June 28, 2011, 12:17:04 PM
A deficit is sustainable if it is offset by GDP growth and inflation. A deficit that is 2%-3% of GDP should be sustainable.

Depends on the type of borrowing that makes up the deficit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2011, 05:30:37 PM
Didn't Huckleberry win Iowa last time?

Yeah. Iowa seems to be a lock for the social conservative candidate. Romney just needs to do well in Iowa, not win it. He'll have New Hampshire in his pocket.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2011, 05:34:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 12:31:27 PM
I'd like them to put up or shut up.  So far all I see is, "Times are bad, we think the burden should be born by someone who is not us.", type thinking.

:huh:  Retirees are all Democrats?

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.  You and I are at totally different wavelengths, Rev.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Fate on June 28, 2011, 10:13:48 PM

Yeah. Iowa seems to be a lock for the social conservative candidate. Romney just needs to do well in Iowa, not win it. He'll have New Hampshire in his pocket.

I think Ron Paul would do well in New Hampshire as well.

Fate

Quote from: citizen k on June 28, 2011, 10:18:22 PM
Quote from: Fate on June 28, 2011, 10:13:48 PM

Dear god I hope not. The last thing the Republican party needs is a legitimization of his views.

citizen k

Quote from: Fate on June 28, 2011, 10:23:57 PM

Dear god I hope not. The last thing the Republican party needs is a legitimization of his views.

Of course the Dems would rather face Bachmann in the general.

Habbaku

Quote from: citizen k on June 28, 2011, 10:32:58 PM
Of course the Dems would rather face Bachmann in the general.

Please don't talk to it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Fate on June 28, 2011, 10:23:57 PM

The Republican Party is truly in dire straits when Ron Paul is considered "one of the sane ones".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 10:18:13 PM
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.  You and I are at totally different wavelengths, Rev.

Ryan suggests cuts to Medicare.  Medicare goes to seniors.

Razgovory suggests Republicans only cut programs that don't go to "us."

Yi concludes Razgovory thinks seniors are not Republicans.

Razgovory expresses confusion.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 06:40:25 AM

You win the strawman contest.  'grats.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 06:40:25 AM

Yep, totally different wavelengths.  I thought I was clear, I was talking about cowboy poets.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:58:07 AM
Yep, totally different wavelengths.  I thought I was clear, I was talking about cowboy poets.

I see.  So when you posted "So far all I see is.." what you really meant was "So far at least one thing I see is."

Another possibility is you only read the part about Ryan's proposal that mentioned cowboy poets, and had never heard he is proposing cuts to Medicare.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 04:54:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:58:07 AM

I see.  So when you posted "So far all I see is.." what you really meant was "So far at least one thing I see is."

Another possibility is you only read the part about Ryan's proposal that mentioned cowboy poets, and had never heard he is proposing cuts to Medicare.

Cowboy poets was something someone else mentioned.  Ryan's proposal could be taken slightly more serious if it actually reduced debt rather then create it.

In fact I never mentioned the Ryan Plan or Ryan.  I was talking about rank and file Tea Party members and the platitudes they swallow.  Why you assumed I was talking about Ryan really did perplex me. 

http://www.slate.com/content/slate/blogs/weigel/2011/04/19/poll_70_percent_of_tea_party_supporters_oppose_medicare_cuts.html

And it appears that Most Tea Party types don't like Medicare cuts either.

According to this:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1892/tea-party-republicans-divide-cuts-federal-spending

The only places where a majority of Tea Party types favor cutting are Foreign Aid, Unemployment benefits, Environmental protection, and Healthcare.  I suspect the last two have to do with crazy conspiracy theories (Climate change is a Hoax! Obamacare Deathpanels!), more then anything else.  The first two don't make up the the Majority of the Tea Party (foreigners and the unemployed), I suspect.  I was surprised that "Aid to US needy" didn't have majority.  Times are tough all over, I suppose. I found an older poll for conservatives where they approved the cutting of "Welfare", but would not cut when asked about specific programs.  It was from 2008, so it didn't seem that important.