Bachmann running neck and neck with Romney in Iowa

Started by jimmy olsen, June 27, 2011, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2011, 07:52:32 PM
78% of the population in Missouri is against cuts in Social Security.  59% of Tea Party members are.

Man if even the nutty fiscal conservatives are against cuts...

*sigh*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 09:40:30 AM
78% of the population in Missouri is against cuts in Social Security.  59% of Tea Party members are.

*sigh*

I suspect nutty fiscal conservatives believe you can balance the budget simply by cutting foreign aid or something equally trivial.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 09:47:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 09:40:30 AM

*sigh*

I suspect nutty fiscal conservatives believe you can balance the budget simply by cutting foreign aid or something equally trivial.

Yeah, NPR and tv seems to be one of their targets, despite it costing each American just $1.37 per year.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

It's not the cost in that case, it's the perception that such programming promotes liberal bias.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2011, 09:51:26 AM

Yeah, NPR and tv seems to be one of their targets, despite it costing each American just $1.37 per year.

I could get a third of a gallon of gas for that.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2011, 10:05:51 AM
It's not the cost in that case, it's the perception that such programming promotes liberal bias.

Must be that show NOVA.  Science has a well known liberal bias.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Sesame Street always taught me to share my rightful property with other kids.  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2011, 09:47:26 AM

Every little bit helps.  When you need to start cutting things from your budget, the small stuff like NPR funding and Harry Reid's Cowboy Poetry Festival are the easiest to cut first.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2011, 11:30:34 AM
Every little bit helps.  When you need to start cutting things from your budget, the small stuff like NPR funding and Harry Reid's Cowboy Poetry Festival are the easiest to cut first.

I would use my political capital to go after the things that would actually make a difference first.  This is sort of like cleaning up after a nuclear fallout by organizing the spilled paperclips.

It makes me think they do not actually give a shit about the deficit and just want to use this as an excuse to attack Democrat backed programs.  Not that there is anything wrong with that but please...show me you are serious first and not just jerking us around.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 11:34:59 AMIt makes me think they do not actually give a shit about the deficit and just want to use this as an excuse to attack Democrat backed programs.  Not that there is anything wrong with that but please...show me you are serious first and not just jerking us around.

I thought that was pretty clear all along.

It seems to me that it's primarily about reshaping the role of government and that the budget is only the excuse.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 11:34:59 AM
It makes me think they do not actually give a shit about the deficit and just want to use this as an excuse to attack Democrat backed programs.  Not that there is anything wrong with that but please...show me you are serious first and not just jerking us around.

What do they need to do to show you they're serious?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2011, 11:44:13 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 11:34:59 AM

Same thing the Democrats need to do: a plan that makes singificant cuts in spending and significant increases increases in revenue via higher taxes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

The republicans did roll out a plan that would effectively end medicare. I guess they could get serious points for that, although I thought the reason to be fiscally sound now is to keep from having to nuke medicare and social security.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2011, 11:44:13 AM

Is this a joke?

Have a plan of some sort to balance the budget.  That plan needs to include cutting both entitlements and defense spending.  I mean common sense Spicey.  Do you really need to ask this?

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2011, 11:50:07 AM
Same thing the Democrats need to do: a plan that makes singificant cuts in spending and significant increases increases in revenue via higher taxes.

Works for me.  If the American people want stuff they need to pay for it.

Both parties have a platform based on magical fairies and Santa Claus.