News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The American Civil War

Started by Sheilbh, June 25, 2011, 06:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

You fuckers are making me want to break out my copy of.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Personally I like Thomas, Hancock, and Sheridan.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on July 02, 2011, 04:57:21 PM

Your copy is covered in old Oretega taco kits.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 02, 2011, 05:31:29 PM

Your copy is covered in old Oretega taco kits.  :mad:

:huh:

Never had a taco kit in my life, pinche gringo.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on July 02, 2011, 04:01:59 PMDutch, not danish. None of the names in Hamlet are Danish (or Norwegian) as the characters are described to be.

I read somewhere that at the time Shakespeare was writing, the families of Rosenkrantz and Gildenstern where both prominent in the court in Denmark and that the names were as a shout-out basically (as England and Denmark were getting along at the time).

... but the various German, Dutch and Norwegian parts make a lot of sense. People moved around a fair bit, even back then.

AnchorClanker

Got that one.  Good game.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 25, 2011, 06:02:33 AM
I've been reading around the ACW and some questions have occurred to me which I thought this place could probably answer.  Or at least enjoy arguing about.

Big question I've got is why does the Union seem to have so many duff generals at the start of the war?

Both sides suffered from inept generals, not just the North.  There were loads of political appointments.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Razgovory

I wonder if offensive operations were more difficult then defensive ones at the time.  On the offensive you have to set up supply lines and depots and the like while operating in hostile terrain with limited intelligence.  Most of the Union defeats were offensive operations and I think all the Confederate offensive operations failed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

July 3rd, time for my annual viewing of Gettysburg. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 11:36:10 PM
I wonder if offensive operations were more difficult then defensive ones at the time.  On the offensive you have to set up supply lines and depots and the like while operating in hostile terrain with limited intelligence.  Most of the Union defeats were offensive operations and I think all the Confederate offensive operations failed.

Which is why I'm not a confed general fanboi and why I have a bit of grudging respect for men like burnside and hooker who were attempting the much more difficult task, despite having greater resources.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 03, 2011, 12:59:39 AM
July 3rd, time for my annual viewing of Gettysburg. :thumbsup:

Felt inspired to rewatch it myself... but, damn... it feels like all the actors are just phoning it in...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2011, 05:47:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2011, 11:36:10 PM

Which is why I'm not a confed general fanboi and why I have a bit of grudging respect for men like burnside and hooker who were attempting the much more difficult task, despite having greater resources.

I'm not a confed fanboi for entirely different reasons.  Mostly because what they were doing was wrong.  Similar to why I'm not a Nazi fanboi or Charles Manson fanboi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2011, 12:22:37 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2011, 05:47:30 AM

I'm not a confed fanboi for entirely different reasons.  Mostly because what they were doing was wrong.  Similar to why I'm not a Nazi fanboi or Charles Manson fanboi.

You have fanbois of Stonewall, Lee, Forrest and mew the slaveholding kitteh that don't support any of the objectives of the confederacy. Way to miss the point (check out the bolded bit in my quote).

Ed Anger

I'm a fan of Earl van Dorn.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive