News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The American Civil War

Started by Sheilbh, June 25, 2011, 06:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
Those states are usually referred to as Border States. Bowling Green is in Kentucky, not Tennessee.

Yeah, that was my typo. Should have been Kentucky.  :blush:

dps

Quote from: Drakken on June 27, 2011, 10:31:47 PM
Those states are usually referred to as Border States. Bowling Green is in Kentucky, not Tennessee.

How the fuck was that a typo?  A typo is "unitl" instead of "until" or the like. 

Next you'll be telling us it was a palindrome.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 10:41:10 PM

How the fuck was that a typo?  A typo is "unitl" instead of "until" or the like. 

They both have a T, N and an E  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Drakken

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2011, 10:41:10 PM

Wahteevr.

Hpapy?

Viking

A better answer would have been "Tennesee, Kentucky, same shit different bucket."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Okay this is informative.  Thoughts/arguments on Rosecrans please :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2011, 12:30:09 PM

A well educated officer of impeccable skill and ability that was able to prepare his army for complex effective and goal oriented maneuvers. These campaigns were uncommonly successful and achieved their objectives with little loss of life and quickly and skillfully. He then had a nervous breakdown at Chickamauga when he realized that the war involved killing people and getting his own people killed. His army needed to be saved by Grant showing up and taking command.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

A decent but by no means brilliant corps commander, who could perform well and independently when he had the initiative, but easily confused when commanding larger numbers of troops or when the enemy took the initiative.  Volcanic temper and a tendency to blame superiors and subordinates for his own faults.  Physically, extremely brave but morally, very cautious.  Best used on a short leash.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Successful general who was overshadowed by others.  Not as well remembered as other commanders probably because he had powerful enemies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Under-rated;  better on the strategic or operational level that at the tactical level.

Ed Anger

A good Ohio boy.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Was Rosencrans of Danish descent? It was the name of a fairly prominent Danish noble family back in the day (as featured in the play Hamlet).

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on July 02, 2011, 03:56:16 PM
Was Rosencrans of Danish descent? It was the name of a fairly prominent Danish noble family back in the day (as featured in the play Hamlet).

QuoteRosecrans descended from Harmon Henrik Rosenkrantz, who arrived in New Amsterdam in 1651, but the family name changed spelling during the American Revolutionary War.

Dutch, not danish. None of the names in Hamlet are Danish (or Norwegian) as the characters are described to be.

11B4V

First known use of Rosenkranz is from the area of Schleswig-Holstein.

I'm researching my half brothers mothers line. Can also be spelled Rosenkrantz. But Hermon was Dutch yes.

HARMON HENDRICK ROSENKRANS, the progenitor of the most numerous branch of the Rosenkrans Family in the United States of America, from whom were descended Colonel John Rosenkrans, of the Revolution, and General William Stark Rosecrans, of the Civil War, was of Holland descent, but came from Bergen, Norway, to New Amsterdam about the middle of the seventeenth century where he was married in 1657. His marriage record copied from the Genealogical and Biographical records of New York taken from the First Reformed Dutch Church of the city is as follows: Married: "March 3, 1657, Herman Hendrickszen Van Bergen in Noordwegen en Magdaleen Dircks, wed'r Cornelis Caper. †" This marriage record is in Holland Dutch, which modernized into English is: Married March 3rd, 1657, Herman Hendrickson, from Bergen, in Norway, to Magdalena Dircks, widow of Cornelius Caper. This form of our ancestor's name denotes that he was the son of Hendrick or Henrik, and as it is nowhere else found so written, but is usually written Harmon Hendrick, we shall thus write it when speaking of him. Herman and Harmon were interchangeably used in Holland and among the early settlers, as were Jacobus and James, Johannis and John. But one instance is found where he wrote his own name, that being in 1683, when he signed his name to a petition, writing it "Harmon Hyndryx." As family names were then but little used he did not write the name Rosenkrans. After his marriage in New York, 1657, we next find him in Kingston where he settled about 1660. His son Alexander was born in Kingston, as his marriage record shows, and he was baptized in New York April, 1661. That he was living in Kingston in 1661 is evident from the fact also that according to the Kingston records Magdalena, wife of "Harmon Hendricx Rosenkrans" was baptized and received into the Reformed Dutch Church of Kingston, June 24, 1661, and he was taxed that year twelve guilders toward building a parsonage for the "Domane Harmanus Blom." The above record in 1661 is the first one found where his surname is written, it being Rosenkrans as we now write it, though not written by himself.

Harmon Hendrick must have had nine children at least, as the Kingston records show seven after Alexander between the dates 1661 - 1675, and the ninth one is found in a will recorded in Albany, dated 1726, made by his daughter Sarah not found elsewhere. Eventually he left Kingston and purchased a large tract of land on the Peterskill, in Mombaccus township, now Rochester, Ulster County, New York, where he settled prior to 1683, as at that date he signed a Rochester petition spoken of, praying for the election rather than the appointment of a certain official. The date of his purchase in Mombaccus cannot be ascertained as the early Kingston land records were lost. It was located on the Peterskill, near Alligerville, and contained a mill property, subsequently owned in part by his son Alexander.

Mr. Thiset, the Royal Archivist of Denmark, thinks that Herman Hendrickszen was the son of one of the two "Dutchmen," as he calls them, Herman, the Merchant Fisherman, and Henrik, the Burgesell, the former probably a son of Captain Dirk, who obtained rights in Norway as early as 1617. He was evidently the son of Henrik, as the name indicates, and born in Bergen, but as the early records there were burned, the date and place of his birth cannot be positively determined. This, however, is evident, that he was of the Holland family of the Rose-wreath, which came from the early German family, descended from Erik, the Knight, who was presented with the Rose-wreath, added it to his coat of arms, and 1325 took the name of Rosenkrantz."

http://www.rosenkrantz-genealogy.org/Book/S07_G1.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".