News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iCQQfAstC3OQb8W79K-0e9paUguw?docId=CNG.ff27a988577bda8bd589a28ab29087cb.221]Click here for text

THE HAGUE — Jewish and Muslim representatives Thursday appealed to  Dutch lawmakers not to enforce plans requiring animals to be stunned  before halaal and kosher slaughtering rituals.
"We are against any  form of stunning because it's against our religion," Yusuf Altuntas,  president of the CMO -- an organisation that links the Muslim community  with the Dutch government -- told a parliamentary commission.
"One  of the first measures taken during the Occupation (during World War II)  was the closing of kosher abattoirs," Dutch Chief Rabbi Binyomin Jacobs  added during the debate in The Hague.
Dutch law required animals to be stunned before being slaughtered but made an exception for ritual halaal and kosher slaughters.
The  country's Party for Animals (PvdD) which holds two seats in the  150-seat Dutch parliament, has submitted a proposal, if implemented,  would see this exception abolished.
Dutch media widely reported  that the PvdD's proposal was expected to get a majority nod from  parliamentarians, but a timeframe was not given.
"The animals suffer more and are more distressed if they are not stunned," Esther Ouwehand, a PvdD parliamentarian told AFP.
"By  getting this modification in the law, we hope to inspire other  countries," she added, pointing out that in Norway and Sweden these  measures had already been taken.
More than two million animals --  mainly sheep and chickens -- were being subjected to ritual slaughter  every year in the Netherlands, the PvdD added.
Abdelfattah  Ali-Salah, director of Halal Correct, the organisation which issues  halaal certificates in the country, however called the figure "inexact".
He said some 250,000 animals were slaughtered yearly without being stunned beforehand.
Jewish  and Muslim representatives Thursday insisted ritual slaughter respected  the animals' welfare, notably restriction methods used to limit  suffering and that those slaughtering received expert training.
"If we no longer have people who can do ritual slaughter in the Netherlands, we will stop eating meat," Chief Rabbi Jacobs said.
They  did however offer to implement some measures which they said would ease  the animals' suffering, especially better controls in abattoirs where  ritual slaughters were performed and an improvement in conditions under  which animals were being transported.
Several organisations in  France, among them the Brigitte Bardot Foundation, in January launched a  poster campaign, reporting conditions in which animals were killed  during ritual slaughter.
If this succeed, can both Muslim & Jews cast a fatwa on Bardot?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Slargos

Banning the production AND import of halal meat [and actually following through with reprizals], in conjunction with the banning of circumsicion is a good first "soft" step to get rid of the undesireables.  :hmm:

The Brain

Quote"We are against any  form of stunning because it's against our religion,"

Pussy. Why ever stand up for your opinions? Classy to push your religion in front of the bus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 03:22:15 PM
Banning the production AND import of halal meat [and actually following through with reprizals], in conjunction with the banning of circumsicion is a good first "soft" step to get rid of the undesireables.  :hmm:

Don't understand.  How does that get help rid of the PvdD?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Meh, halal is dumb anyway. Maybe a few hundred years ago slitting an animal's throat was the most humane way to kill it but we've came a long way baby....
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Viking

Yes, your silly ancient desert fairy tale tells you to torture animals. Your non-existent god is a sadist, I get that. You want me to respect your war criminal torturist paedophile murderer rapist bandit thief of a prophet, I get that. I'm sorry, but fuck you.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

JonasSalk

Reality > Religion

They should tell the (mostly Muslims, as there are very few Jews left in the Netherlands after that whole Hitler deal) to go fuck themselves and leave if they don't like it. "Freedom of religion" doesn't include the "freedom" to torture animals.
Yuman

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 03:42:45 PM
Meh, halal is dumb anyway. Maybe a few hundred years ago slitting an animal's throat was the most humane way to kill it but we've came a long way baby....

No. Halal/Kosher slaughter wasn't even the most human method of doing it in the bronze age. The animal is alive while it bleeds to death. The blood must exit the body for religious purity reasons.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: JonasSalk on June 16, 2011, 03:48:46 PM
Reality > Religion

They should tell the (mostly Muslims, as there are very few Jews left in the Netherlands after that whole Hitler deal) to go fuck themselves and leave if they don't like it. "Freedom of religion" doesn't include the "freedom" to torture animals.

I agree, freedom of religion is the freedom to want to torture animals, not he freedom to actually torture animals.

The Brain

Quote"One  of the first measures taken during the Occupation (during World War II)  was the closing of kosher abattoirs,"

What is it about this that brings out all the crazies? Hitler apologists is the last thing we need.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on June 16, 2011, 03:50:33 PM
Quote"One  of the first measures taken during the Occupation (during World War II)  was the closing of kosher abattoirs,"

What is it about this that brings out all the crazies? Hitler apologists is the last thing we need.

I also appreciate the Hitlerite program for roadbuilding which was copied by Eisenhower two decades later as presiden

The Minsky Moment

Humane slaughter = contradiction in terms. 

If the fake Krauts really gave a crap about animals they would become vegetarians and ban meat sales.  But that would piss off the majority.  Scapegoating the minority, though  . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 03:49:22 PM
o. Halal/Kosher slaughter wasn't even the most human method of doing it in the bronze age. The animal is alive while it bleeds to death.

Stunned animals are also alive as they get carved up.   :contract:

Difference is that at least with kosher/hallal slaughter there has to be someone with proper training and experience and thus the risk of unecessary pain and suffering is limited.  Whereas any unskilled doofus can get a job as a stunner in a slaughterhouse.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Good. If you want to practice your barbaric, bronze age customs, fuck off to the Middle East.

Freedom of religion should mean a freedom to freely profess the belief in whatever deity you choose. It should NEVER mean benefiting from exceptions when it comes to "mundane" laws.

If you can't live your goddamn life without wearing a retarded rag on/over your head, mutilating babies or torturing animals, then get the fuck out of Europe or go to prison.