Your boyfriend/girlfriend friends and you

Started by Martinus, June 15, 2011, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2011, 03:13:35 PM
[Back in the day it would have been very difficult to date someone to the point of becoming their boyfriend/girlfriend without coming into contact with their friends since the main method of meeting people was through actual social contact. 

That is why I would take  classes and do things away from my friends.  Granted internet dating was still alot quicker and easier.  Dating for the lazy man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on June 15, 2011, 01:42:25 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2011, 01:40:06 PM
dated a girl 10 years younger last year.  Worst mistake of my life.  Never met her friends, spent two months with her, spent a little more than 2000$ in various things, and last time we spoke the words "gift" and "breast implants" were in the same conversation, so I freaked out and left never to return.

If you did not expect the relation to become serious with that ho golddigger, why did you waste 2,000 bucks on her?

The spending should have been a clue...
Yes, it should have.  But it's a long story.  And not for this part of the forum.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 01:42:45 PM
[crazycanuck]Was she a hooker?[/crazycanuck]
A hooker would probably have been cheaper.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 15, 2011, 01:50:30 PM
He doesn't want his friends fucking up his chances with you. He'll wait until things are more stable. No big deal, IMO.
I think he doesn't want Marty to fuck his friends, period.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 15, 2011, 01:50:30 PM
He doesn't want his friends fucking up his chances with you. He'll wait until things are more stable. No big deal, IMO.
I think he doesn't want Marty to fuck his friends, period.

He of all people should know that the risk is fucking close to zero.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on June 15, 2011, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: Drakken on June 15, 2011, 01:42:25 PM
dated a girl 10 years younger last year.  Worst mistake of my life.  Never met her friends, spent two months with her, spent a little more than 2000$ in various things, and last time we spoke the words "gift" and "breast implants" were in the same conversation, so I freaked out and left never to return.

If you did not expect the relation to become serious with that ho golddigger, why did you waste 2,000 bucks on her?

The spending should have been a clue...
Yes, it should have.  But it's a long story.  And not for this part of the forum.

Considering the high standards that TBR are held to, I would probably not consider any part of the forum.

garbon

I might start seeing someone that I wouldn't want anyone to meet.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2011, 03:06:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2011, 02:54:06 PM
last time we spoke the words "gift" and "breast implants" were in the same conversation, so I freaked out and left never to return.
:o

You just walked out on Cal's fantasy come true :P

Were the implants made of gravy? :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 01:37:16 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2011, 01:34:12 PM
Do you just want to meet them or also start hanging out with them?

I would like to meet them. I find the fact that I haven't met any of them rather weird. Anyone here dated someone considerably younger and could weigh in (I suppose it's a bit different from "normal" then).

You meet 'em when you meet 'em.  It's normal for both people to have their own friends.  But if your S.O. is actively resisting the idea of you meeting their friends, there may be a problem.  Or maybe not.  Back when I was dating SocialWorkerGirl, for the most part she had no problem with me meeting her friends, but there were a couple of guys that had sort of been substitute big brothers for her (she was an only child)--nothing romantic, but they were guys she'd know since she was a little kid who had kind of looked out for her when they were in school--and she was afraid that they'd be hostile towards me because of the age difference.  When I finally did meet them, there was no problem--I don't know that I'd say that they necessarily liked me, but they saw that I was an OK guy and treated her decently, so they didn't have any problem with me at least.

Jaron

So this is, in fact, an advice thread for Marcin.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 01:10:46 PM
Ok, how long into a relationship would you expect to get to know friends of your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is not technically an advice thread - I just wanted to see what people find acceptable in this respect (because I got such varying responses from "real life" people).

We've been married for more than 8 years.  I've known her for more than 13. 

I still refuse to meet her friends  :P

Ed Anger

QuoteAnyone here dated someone considerably younger and could weigh in

170 lbs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2011, 07:41:28 PM

170 lbs.

Is that the total weight of all your kids?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2011, 08:26:31 PM

170 lbs.

Just my weight.

And I think I wasted that joke on this crowd.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2011, 08:28:06 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2011, 08:26:31 PM

170 lbs.

Just my weight.

And I think I wasted that joke on this crowd.

Oh.

185!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.