News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Senate votes to end ethanol subsidies

Started by DGuller, June 16, 2011, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Is this for real?  There has to be some kind of a catch here, something that is a very good thing without any qualifications can't pass through the Senate these days, can it?
QuoteThe Senate has voted to end about $6 billion in taxpayer subsidies for the ethanol industry. The vote on an amendment was 73 to 27.

Under the amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), refiners would lose the 45-cent-a-gallon subsidy, and the 54-cent-per-gallon tariff on imported ethanol from Brazil and other countries would be eliminated, Reuters writes.

Backing the repeal were 33 Republicans, 38 Democrats and both of the chamber's Independents, who caucus with Democrats, The Hill reports. Voting to keep the tax breaks were 14 Republicans and 13 Democrats.

The bill now goes to the House, which voted today to block the Agriculture Department from funding equipment the ethanol industry wants so filling stations can sell gasoline with higher blend rates.

In a procedural vote Tuesday, senators voted against ending debate on an amendment to end the subsidies, keeping the tax breaks alive.

Cecil

How many that voted for keeping the subsidies are running for prez?  ;)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Will this pass the House?  I can't imagine why it would.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Cecil on June 16, 2011, 04:24:31 PM
How many that voted for keeping the subsidies are running for prez?  ;)

Does put them in a difficult position doesn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 04:52:59 PM
Will this pass the House?  I can't imagine why it would.

Should be easier in the House.  Corn belt legislators have more power in the Senate than the House.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point