American Expressions That Still Confuse You After All These Inane Years Here ?

Started by mongers, June 14, 2011, 05:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on June 17, 2011, 05:50:56 AM
I'm still not clear about all the expressions regarding kool-aid.

You know what Kool-Aid is right?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on June 17, 2011, 06:00:45 AM
its the stuff in big bins a US rugby games ?

No, that's Gatorade.

Kool-Aid is powdered mix that is artificial flavor that you mix with Water. The mascot is a giant pitcher of it call the Kool Aid man.

The expression drinking the kool-aid, apparently comes from the Jonestown massacre where a sect & it's followers committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid lace with cyanide.

Viking

I blame the cheater Heisman for ending the Purity of Rugby in the US. Only pussies use the forward pass.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 06:04:25 AM
The expression drinking the kool-aid, apparently comes from the Jonestown massacre where a sect & it's followers committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid lace with cyanide.

Look at the big brain on Brown Wolf.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2011, 06:45:02 AM

No credit is deserve, I googled it. There's even a wikipedia page about it.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 06:50:03 AM

Disappointing. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on June 17, 2011, 06:06:56 AM

I blame the cheater Heisman for ending the Purity of Rugby in the US. Only pussies use the forward pass.

:rolleyes:

The forward pass was the greatest invention of the 20th century.

Not the airplane, or the silicon chip.  The forward pass.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2011, 06:50:03 AM

It's widely remember in the US.  The phrase is fairly recent though.  I only encountered it on the net in the 2000's.  Possibly it could have been in places that aren't Missouri before that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2011, 09:11:40 AM
:rolleyes:

The forward pass was the greatest invention of the 20th century.

Not the airplane, or the silicon chip.  The forward pass.   :cool:

Heathen.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2011, 04:52:54 AM
I still don't quite understand "white trash."

What is there to understand?  Lower class white people, with strong implications of tackiness, violence, criminality, drug and alcohol abuse, really bad hair, incest, portable living quarters, etc., etc.  More associated with the South and rural areas.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2011, 04:58:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2011, 04:52:54 AM
I still don't quite understand "white trash."

What is there to understand?  Lower class white people, with strong implications of tackiness, violence, criminality, drug and alcohol abuse, really bad hair, incest, portable living quarters, etc., etc.  More associated with the South and rural areas.

All the things that you described can easily apply to non-whites.  So why "white" trash?

And, are things really that bad?  I mean, there must be quite a large number of relatively poor whites.  It is a bit hard to believe that they all participate in incest  :unsure: 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2011, 05:07:50 AM
All the things that you described can easily apply to non-whites.  So why "white" trash?

The short answer I think is that the term originated in the Deep South, where it was already understood that blacks were trashy.

QuoteAnd, are things really that bad?  I mean, there must be quite a large number of relatively poor whites.  It is a bit hard to believe that they all participate in incest  :unsure:

It's a continuum of trashiness Mono.  You could, for example, hit one or two of the bases and qualify for a white trash yellow belt.

Ed Anger

Also you have the hilljack, cousin the the white trash hillbilly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive