News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

I joined a Scandie clan but it's not very active. 40 players ostensibly but I hardly even get any platoon games going. I think I'm going to have to find a new one if I want to get any clan/company action going. Anyway, there's no point in company play until you reach Tier 10 since it apparently doesn't balance very well.

Threviel

I've been trying Slargos tactic of glorious death the last few days with my T-46. Makes no difference in xp or silver so I might as well use it. Quicker games at least, boring as fuck.

Slargos

Quote from: Threviel on July 19, 2011, 11:18:11 PM
I've been trying Slargos tactic of glorious death the last few days with my T-46. Makes no difference in xp or silver so I might as well use it. Quicker games at least, boring as fuck.

If you do it right, it can easily mean the difference between victory and defeat for your team.

Only the late-tier "lights" IE the Panther/II and T-44/54 are any use as battle tanks. Arguably this goes for the 3002 aswell, according to some, but I don't see it.

Threviel

Quote from: Slargos on July 20, 2011, 02:47:14 AM

If you do it right, it can easily mean the difference between victory and defeat for your team.

Only the late-tier "lights" IE the Panther/II and T-44/54 are any use as battle tanks. Arguably this goes for the 3002 aswell, according to some, but I don't see it.

Well, I am not doing it right since I dislike that kind of playing style and my tank is slower than other lights. But I guess I should practice more.

Slargos

Quote from: Threviel on July 20, 2011, 04:38:29 AM

Well, I am not doing it right since I dislike that kind of playing style and my tank is slower than other lights. But I guess I should practice more.

If you don't like scouting you shouldn't play a light, simple as that. The only time the light is useful in the line is when most of the opposition is also lights, but in that case you're only a light by design since by purpose you can be a heavy or a medium depending on what you're facing.

If you're in a tier 3 and you're mostly facing tier 5+ your job is simple: Spot targets for your heavies and SPGs.

If you're in a tier 3 and you're facing mostly 1-2 you can focus on taking out enemies.

Threviel

Quote from: Slargos on July 20, 2011, 05:57:56 AM

If you don't like scouting you shouldn't play a light, simple as that. The only time the light is useful in the line is when most of the opposition is also lights, but in that case you're only a light by design since by purpose you can be a heavy or a medium depending on what you're facing.

If you're in a tier 3 and you're mostly facing tier 5+ your job is simple: Spot targets for your heavies and SPGs.

If you're in a tier 3 and you're facing mostly 1-2 you can focus on taking out enemies.

I am playing a light because that is the way to KV-1, not by choice.

Slargos

Quote from: Threviel on July 20, 2011, 06:26:56 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 20, 2011, 05:57:56 AM

I am playing a light because that is the way to KV-1, not by choice.

So learn to play one, you jackass.  :P

Playing it correctly will make the grind less awful.

Berkut

I think one thing that you need to realize to enjoy WoT is that part of the fun is figuring out how to play each tank to its optimal level. If every tank is just a vehicle to get to the next tank, the "grind" is going to be just that. A grind. Some tanks you won't be in for long, and others you will fight 100+ matches in - you need to figure out how to play those tanks.

And this is NOT just "type" specific. Every medium does not play the same by any means, for example. TDs vary considerably. And as slargos pointed out, your role withing a battle can change a lot depending on what else is in the fight. I've been playing my T4 Leopard a lot. If I am at the top of the tank list, my Leopard is the MBT for the fight - I will and do sit back and blow things away. If I am at the bottom, or even in the middle, I am all about scouting, and I won't engage even other lights. Mainly because even if I stumlbe upon an enemy light, if I stop to take them on, some medium is going to blow me away, so I keep moving.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Threviel

Quote from: Berkut on July 20, 2011, 09:33:09 AM
I think one thing that you need to realize to enjoy WoT is that part of the fun is figuring out how to play each tank to its optimal level. If every tank is just a vehicle to get to the next tank, the "grind" is going to be just that. A grind. Some tanks you won't be in for long, and others you will fight 100+ matches in - you need to figure out how to play those tanks.

And this is NOT just "type" specific. Every medium does not play the same by any means, for example. TDs vary considerably. And as slargos pointed out, your role withing a battle can change a lot depending on what else is in the fight. I've been playing my T4 Leopard a lot. If I am at the top of the tank list, my Leopard is the MBT for the fight - I will and do sit back and blow things away. If I am at the bottom, or even in the middle, I am all about scouting, and I won't engage even other lights. Mainly because even if I stumlbe upon an enemy light, if I stop to take them on, some medium is going to blow me away, so I keep moving.

Good advice, that is my line of thinking, it's just that I haven't found a way to play the T-46 that I like.

Stonewall

I am in love with my VK3601.  I know people argue that the 75L70 is better, but the 88 has made a massive difference.  Halfway to the second engine upgrade.  I'm trying to grind my way through the T-28 to get the KV and the free garage slot.  Oh my God, what a terrible tank.  Despite a close to 50% average win rate, my stats on the T-28 are 4 wins in 21 matches with one survival.  I'm not going to even bother upgrading anything on it and simply rush the KV.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Berkut

The T-28 is a pretty fun tank, once you upgrade the gun to the 85. It is a very good sniper. Mobile, great gun for its tier. Just don't try to play slugger with it because its armor sucks and it handles like a drunk pig.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Tentatively, I've gotta say I'm having some fun with the 3002. I caved in and bought the engine and tracks for free XP and it's a relatively nimble little bugger. Can reasonably act as MBT, and even if it's an underdog to Tigers, the superior speed means it can dodge the return fire reasonably well.

Just scored 5 kills in it (out of which 3 were their heavies), despite most of my team being complete nitwits and only getting 2. I think I might start to enjoy the rapid glass cannon style of play.  :hmm:

1k XP from a lost battle. Not shabby.  :menace:

Berkut

Someone tell me more about the free garage slot and the KV?

0 rows returned

Slargos

Oh, yes. The 3002 is a LOT of fun. I just joined my first true medium wolf-pack assault on the enemy base as squarely in the middle tiered. Together with a T-44 and what I think was a Panther we completely raped their base defense on Steppes. Tallied about 8 tanks between us with a bit of long range sniping from the heavy assaults and the lone artillery.. Insane. They were scattering like headless chickens.

So I guess what I'm saying is: Get the goddamned engine.  :cool:

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on July 20, 2011, 04:51:16 PM
Someone tell me more about the free garage slot and the KV?

Apparently if you have a KV in your garage when the next upgrade comes along that splits the KV into two different tank lines, you get a free garage slot and I guess another tank aswell. A couple of upgrade points give the same benefits. You can find it buried in their news page, I think. Try searching the forums.

If you have the Panther II, IIRC, you get a free upgrade of it aswell, since the german medium tree is getting a redesign.

Additionally, all the XP you've stored up on your elite Tiger will get transferred to the Tiger II since that tree is also getting an overhaul. I've got the TigerII researched but I'm in no hurry to buy it since the good gun is around 60k xp. Figure I'll just take my time and get it eventually.

Next update is scheduled for August though from what I can gather it's by no means a certainty. I figure I'll just focus on getting the Panther II before then.