News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cycling/ Bike Purchasing

Started by Lettow77, June 11, 2011, 04:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Interstates in the west sort of have different rules than in the east of the USA.  Lots of places allow bikes (though for reasons MiM said few use it), but the larger town areas do not. Salt Lake, Denver, for instance do not allow bikes near them (though there are frontage/parallel routes to take).

Having driven the route from Wyoming to California at least 30 times in my life, I can't imagine too much more foolish than a broke novice trying to bike from the Bay Area to Salt Lake City.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

LaCroix

take a train there in the last week if you wish to explore isengard and its culture. don't ride there, not because it's dangerous, you're not prepared, etc, but because inevitably you will not carry through with it. this is a pipe dream with an expensive price tag. you've no employment, are still in school, and the money you inherited from your father can only last so long. spending $1-2k or more on what you think to be a really cool idea is not becoming of a southern gentleman

Richard Hakluyt

One problem is that if you will need decent sets of both front and rear panniers, they will balance your bike and the weight is far less important than the weight distribution IMO. Good panniers are, of course, quite expensive, but riding with a backpack is moronic both in terms of immediate safety and future back problems. You will also need gears that include a few extremely low gears, you should be aiming to ride up every hill and mountain, walking a loaded bike is far harder than riding it.........but you really need very low gears for an extended climb.

One major problem is that if you start in California that is the wrong coast, you will get to the desert (which is pretty damned dangerous I would imagine) when you are still a wobbly unseasoned urbanite. Much better to start the ride in Charleston and go west...............more historically apt too.........if you did this you would gain your cycling legs in relatively easy terrain. Cycling requires a lot of stamina, stamina you simply will not have until you've been on the road a few weeks.

Maladict

Only 2 days left! Got a bike yet?

Lettow77

To my embarrassment, the impracticalities and drudgery of it, but most of all the urging to desist of most everyone I know, has shelved the plan to cycle to Deseret.

However! I will still be departing for Utah, and I will still be cycling. A more revised practical itinerary involves taking a train and then renting a bike to explore the land. I want to see Provo in particular. I am unsure about the 22nd date; there is still some things I care to do here, where before I was eager to leave. I've met some fascinating folks.

Perhaps on the 5th, after the customary two days of fasting?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Zanza

Cycling from Salt Lake City to Provo sounds much more sensible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 20, 2011, 04:43:36 AM
To my embarrassment, the impracticalities and drudgery of it, but most of all the urging to desist of most everyone I know, has shelved the plan to cycle to Deseret.

Shame.  I would've liked to have seen your final moments from your cell phone camera, carrion birds waiting off in the distance.  Waiting.

Lettow77

I don't have a cellphone! I've said this.

But um, cycling around Utah should be enough of an undertaking. More pressingly, i'm not sure where I'll stay. Cheap monthly housing can be had, (very cheap, actually- surprised me) but that's no good if I want to be out and about. I'll improvise I guess.

Caliga

:hmm: Shouldn't you maybe be trying to acquire marketable skills at this point in your life, instead of "cycling around Deseret?" :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

Marketable skills is a disgusting idea. I am a gentleman of letters.

Or rather, did you spend all your college summers in a quest to increase your marketability? I will be a successful lawyer, or professor. I am confident I can do well in whatever I choose to pursue. The Deseret trip could change my life though

What if I: find the true faith?

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 21, 2011, 06:56:45 AM
Marketable skills is a disgusting idea. I am a gentleman of letters.

Have fun being a lettered hobo then. :)

QuoteOr rather, did you spend all your college summers in a quest to increase your marketability?

Actually, yes, yes I did. :smoke:

QuoteI will be a successful lawyer, or professor. I am confident I can do well in whatever I choose to pursue. The Deseret trip could change my life though

What if I: find the true faith?
If the LDS Church is the true faith, then I'm Cinderella. :)

Admiral Yi

What exactly did you do Cal?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2011, 07:04:23 AM
What exactly did you do Cal?
Worked for an ISP in Philadelphia during the summers, and during the school year worked as a 1099 contractor doing web development and more general IT stuff around campus for various departments and centers.  Alot of my friends were doing lame workstudy shit at like $8 an hour while I was billing at $50-100. :cool:

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on June 21, 2011, 06:54:31 AM
:hmm: Shouldn't you maybe be trying to acquire marketable skills at this point in your life, instead of "cycling around Deseret?" :wacko:

Cal is wise :yes:

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2011, 08:39:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 21, 2011, 06:54:31 AM

Cal is wise :yes:

Good advice +1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".