News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greece is DOOMED!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 12, 2009, 12:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

One of the primary drivers of a currency devaluation when a country runs into problems with its debt is that printing money (inflation) is the easiest way out of the crisis. Greece doesn't have that option.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I reread the article and Greece has debt/GDP of 110% and is paying something like 200 basis points of risk premium.  Those are hardly signs of imminent default.

Neil

I don't think there's anything the Greeks can do.  All the easy stuff is out of their reach, due to the fact that they're under the German currency.  All the hard stuff is politically impossible, due to the fact that they are Mediterranean.

Hopefully, the civilized world can keep the IMF from bailing the Greeks out, and the Greeks will finally meet the fate that their Soviet friends met two decades ago.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"I don't care about my government, I don't care about my country," he added, conceding, however that he did care about soccer and women. While not always so vehement, such views are common in Greece, where the government is widely seen as corrupt, regardless of who is in power. Indeed, few people expect much from the state — except highly coveted public sector jobs. Today, one in four Greek workers is employed by the state, a result of decades of public hiring to stave off social unrest.

Well, there you have it. There is no economy there. It's degenerated into the framework of a state with a hollow cavity under it where the economy should be. It's removed the purpose of having the framework above at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 12, 2009, 05:18:25 PM
"I don't care about my government, I don't care about my country," he added, conceding, however that he did care about soccer and women. While not always so vehement, such views are common in Greece, where the government is widely seen as corrupt, regardless of who is in power. Indeed, few people expect much from the state — except highly coveted public sector jobs. Today, one in four Greek workers is employed by the state, a result of decades of public hiring to stave off social unrest.

Well, there you have it. There is no economy there. It's degenerated into the framework of a state with a hollow cavity under it where the economy should be. It's removed the purpose of having the framework above at all.

You don't want to know what proportion of Yukoners works for one of the levels of government (First Nation, municipal, territorial, Federal).   :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, I'm not sure how shocking the "1-in-4" figure actually is.

The "public sector" in the UK is about 6m workers, ie about 1-in-5.

Not sure what it would be for other countries.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 12, 2009, 05:56:26 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how shocking the "1-in-4" figure actually is.

The "public sector" in the UK is about 6m workers, ie about 1-in-5.

Not sure what it would be for other countries.
Yeah.  That won't just be functionaries but teachers, professors (and the school secretaries) as well as policemen, police admin, prosecutors and, in the UK, doctors, nurses etc.  I'm sure in the US if you added up Federal, State and Local employees you'd get a high figure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

At the height of the Marion Barry lunacy 1 in 3 adult DC residents were on the city payroll.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 05:45:35 PM
You don't want to know what proportion of Yukoners works for one of the levels of government (First Nation, municipal, territorial, Federal).   :blush:
Yeah, but the Yukon is subsidized by the real country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on December 12, 2009, 08:50:24 PM

Thanks.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2009, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 12, 2009, 08:50:24 PM

Thanks.  :)
Not a problem.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Send the Greeks to Madagascar and repopulate the country with humans. Southern Europeans are annoying leeches.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.