News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cycling/ Bike Purchasing

Started by Lettow77, June 11, 2011, 04:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Languish, I am just about to go on a very long trip on a bike. Only, how much is really necessary to spend? I am boggled by the enormous prices I see some bikes going for. What, exactly, separates a $200 bike from a $9,000 one?

I am ignorant on this matter. Thanks in advance for the help!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Do we even have a completely insane cycling fanatic on Languish?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Weight is one of the issues that separates the expensive ones from the cheaper models. If you're racing, you want a light bike, but light bikes need to be made from strong materials so that they don't bend out of shape. So a carbon fibre bike will be more expensive than another one. Are you going off-road? If not, don't splash for a mountain bike. A hybrid bike (that is a hybrid between a mountain bike and a racing bike) is adequate for most, while a racing bike would be good if you'll stay on the main roads.

The second expensive set-up regards brakes and gears. Some brakes are just better than others and more expensive. If you stick to a semi-known brand, it's really hard to make a mistake unless you are some super-athlete.

Spending more than a thousand dollars on a bike would seem like a waste unless you are doing some serious training.

What to bear in mind:
Tires - you don't want too wide and studded tires if you're mainly cycling on dirt roads, asphalt or tarmac. That's for the off-road stuff like tracks in the deep woods.
Seat - Get a seat that suits your ass, since you'll be spending a lot of time sitting on it. A gel seat cover may be a good idea for overweight and inexperienced riders to avoid huge boils on your buttocks
Saddle/handlebar height - buy a frame that suits your height and adjust handlebars in the shop so that you get a comfortable position when seated. Too low handlebars will kill your lower back. Too high, and you will not be particularly aerodynamic, and if you are biking to Japan, you'll want to save energy.

Apart from that, get padded shorts and a pair of gloves, as the ribbed parts of the handlebar will eat your skin.

Lettow77

Quote from: Norgy on June 11, 2011, 05:09:07 AM
Too high, and you will not be particularly aerodynamic, and if you are biking to Japan, you'll want to save energy.

This really made me smile in an otherwise bluh mood. Bike through the deserts until you attain the promised land, indeed  :D

So, I can't imagine caring about a light bike. I honestly don't what kind of terrain i'll be going through. I figured i'd push east until California became Utah, and then seek some saints.

Thanks for all the help! and yeah, a thousand seems absurd.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 11, 2011, 05:01:34 AM
Do we even have a completely insane cycling fanatic on Languish?

I certainly can't see Mongers spending nine grand on a bike. Or having nine grand to spend.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

I recommend Diamondback.  They have an entry-level hybrid that has low-mid-range gearshifts, gearing, and brakes, for usually less than $500.00.  I've been very happy with mine.  Their frames are very solid, and tolerably light.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 11, 2011, 04:54:59 AM
Languish, I am just about to go on a very long trip on a bike.

Don't start training first or anything, Pugsly.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2011, 08:28:28 AM

He'll start his bike trip in January. There will be a Lettowcicle in Nebraska.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Pretty comprehensive set of advice from the standpoint of bicycling in San Francisco (so perhaps not as relevant if you want to bike across a state or something):
http://www.jwz.org/blog/2008/05/the-collected-jwz-bicycle-wisdom/

Monoriu

Wait a second.  You do not own a bicycle, yet you want to go on a cross-state bicycle trip?  Are you sure you have the required expertise to do so?  :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2011, 09:36:16 AM
Wait a second.  You do not own a bicycle, yet you want to go on a cross-state bicycle trip?  Are you sure you have the required expertise to do so?  :unsure:

Expertise?  How about lung capacity, for starters?

jamesww

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2011, 08:28:28 AM

This.

jamesww

Languish, I am just about to go on a very long trip on a bike. Only, how much is really necessary to spend? I am boggled by the enormous prices I see some bikes going for. What, exactly, separates a $200 bike from a $9,000 one?

I am ignorant on this matter. Thanks in advance for the help!

Norgy has laid out some very sensible advice.

IMHO the key questions are how fit are you, as CdM has already touched on, and how fast do you want to go ? Cycling is mainly about pushing air out of your way, so the faster you want to go the more aerodynamic and increasingly expensive the bike tends to become.

From what you say about a desert ride, this sounds hugely ambitious to me; desert/sandy tracks have to be some of the most challenging terrain for cycling over.

At this time of year, isn't it hellishly hot in the desert, you'll need to carry a metric ton of water, even just the drier conditions and the action of the wind on your body will really dehydrate you; and that's before you consider the effort you have to put in yourself.

I'd suggest you reconsider your plans.

Norgy

So, let me get this straight. Lettow plans to ride his bike from somewhere in the South to California? Without, say, a year at least riding regularly? I mean, yeah, stamina is one thing, but I imagine that after 50 miles his back, ass and legs will feel so sore he'd admit secession was wrong just to get a ride somewhere to lie down.

Stamina and lung capacity are both obviously important, but once you're above your early teens, so's getting used to the seat and the fact that you will need to pedal to move forward, except when you're riding down the Rockies Jim Carrey style.

Never mind the cost of a bike, this is just slow suicide.

11B4V

Best get you some padded bike shorts Lettow

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".