And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me choose a new car

Started by viper37, June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
I've been really impressed with Audis, and some more basic models are under $40k.  Don't be fooled by the 4-cylinder engine in them, the turbo-4 in the entry-level Audis is about equivalent to V6, and is much more zippy.
I don't really like the exterior of most of the Audis.  And they are very hard to find used around here.  New one wouldn't be a problem, if only I had unlimited funding :)
The new Audi I was looking at came in under $40k, although I don't know how that translates to Canadian prices.  The biggest reason I didn't buy it was that my own Jetta gave me a better bang for the buck, and has pretty much the same 2.0t engine that I absolutely love.

Barrister

Apparently viper ignored my post.

You want a Nissan 370Z.  It meets your criteria.  Prices start at $40k, so you can certainly buy a slightly used one for $35.  V6 engine, 320hp.  Modern looking interior and exterior.  Very sporty - it should be a nice transition from your Camaro.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 01:45:03 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 09, 2011, 11:15:55 AM
I did some used car shopping not too long ago. Ford Focuses (Foci?) and Hyundai Elantras  are pretty good and reliable, and at a few years old they usually aren't too expensive, either - about $13,000-15,000.

But I think you're looking for something flashier. Go for a BMW Z3 or Ford Mustang - both can be gotten for <$20,000 used. :showoff:
BMW Z3/Z4 are convertible cars.  I don't mind having a car for summers only, but I mind having a car I can really use only 2 weeks a year.

The Shelby GT 500 starts at 60 000$.
The regular Mustang ain't so bad.  I'd need to check it out.  Nearest Ford dealer is in Quebec city though.

oh, no Focus, no Elantra.
The Hyunday Genesis looks good though.  Have to take a closer look at this.

Oh that's right, you live in a perpetual winter wonderland.
Get a Zamboni then.  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

If you want something sporty, go for a Subara Impreza WRX STI.

All wheel drive, so it is perfectly functional in the snow!

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2011, 02:13:27 PM
Apparently viper ignored my post.

You want a Nissan 370Z.  It meets your criteria.  Prices start at $40k, so you can certainly buy a slightly used one for $35.  V6 engine, 320hp.  Modern looking interior and exterior.  Very sporty - it should be a nice transition from your Camaro.
I did not, I said it was a nice car.  I'll have to see it.
I've already found one, a 2009 in need or repairs for 13k$.  But I want to see a working, live one, first :)

I'm a bit limited by the local dealers, there's only a GM dealer locally.  A few more brands 80km from here, but otherwise, it's all in Quebec city.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 09, 2011, 03:05:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 01:45:03 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 09, 2011, 11:15:55 AM
I did some used car shopping not too long ago. Ford Focuses (Foci?) and Hyundai Elantras  are pretty good and reliable, and at a few years old they usually aren't too expensive, either - about $13,000-15,000.

But I think you're looking for something flashier. Go for a BMW Z3 or Ford Mustang - both can be gotten for <$20,000 used. :showoff:
BMW Z3/Z4 are convertible cars.  I don't mind having a car for summers only, but I mind having a car I can really use only 2 weeks a year.

The Shelby GT 500 starts at 60 000$.
The regular Mustang ain't so bad.  I'd need to check it out.  Nearest Ford dealer is in Quebec city though.

oh, no Focus, no Elantra.
The Hyunday Genesis looks good though.  Have to take a closer look at this.

Oh that's right, you live in a perpetual winter wonderland.
Get a Zamboni then.  :P
yes, if there was a giant ice wall in our country, I would be north of it :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2011, 03:37:50 PM
If you want something sporty, go for a Subara Impreza WRX STI.

All wheel drive, so it is perfectly functional in the snow!

:bleeding:  That's a really fucking ugly car right there.

Edit:  Is that what they really look like now?  That picture is the only one I've seen that looks like that, the rest have 4 doors, and don't look so weird.

MadImmortalMan

That one's modded. They look fine, and it really is a good car.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 09, 2011, 04:10:04 PM
That one's modded. They look fine, and it really is a good car.

That one is missing the rear doors, which is why it looks so fucked up.  Real ones don't appear so squashed.  They've also shopped the front end and made it look like a riced out Focus.

Edit:

That's obviously not the 5 door version, but it looks much better (than the shop up above, the 5 door is fine too).  It does fit the OP's criteria too, as Berk said.  They're really fun to drive, or at least the 2006 models were.

Berkut

Jesus, that does look all fucked up. I think I right clicked on the wrong pic. The regular STIs look pretty cool, especially for a four door.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PRC

Get a Delica and convert it to run on vegetable oil.

Pedrito

new Alfa Romeo Giulietta. 235 hp, very zippy engine, italian style.

Otherwise, I heartily support the Subaru.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 10:26:42 AM
<pic of Cobra orgasm>

I'll have to get a pic of my boss's GT500 Cobra show car he's tweaked. 890 hp. Doesn't even drive it.  Just tows it around from show to show, winning trophies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AMMy friends howere are insisting I should go for an Audi or BMW.  But I can't really find an affordable model.  Sure, at 200 000$ and above, there's plenty of cars I like.  But I ain't a lawyer, so I have to settle for something below 40 000$, used or new.

While I am now a full-fledged convert to Wrangler Nation and recommend such, you're not going 4x4 this time. Honestly though, during my car-shopping a few months ago I was highly impressed with the Chevy Cruze and the Ford Fusion upgrades as affordable domestic cars with a lot of get-up-and-go.   Especially the upgraded packages.  A LOT of car and options for a decent price.

Chevy Cruze RS.

Ford Fusion Sport

CountDeMoney

Oh, and in the other realistically-affordable category, I was also impressed with the new Mazdas.  Been seeing a lot of them pop up recently with the twenty-somethings at work.