News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me choose a new car

Started by viper37, June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2011, 04:31:35 PM
I think I found one.  I couldn't find a used 370z (I actually missed one that was destroyed, on sale for 15k$), sorry BB.

I found a Mercedes C230, 2008 for 24500-26500$ (I found 2, actually, one in Montreal, one in Quebec city).  Think I'm gonna try it this week-end, if they're open.  Will see how I like this :)

It's not as if I'm a Nissan shareholder - you don't need to apologize to me. :lol:  I just thought it might meet your requirements.

Is the Mercedes a coupe or a sedan?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2011, 05:12:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on June 09, 2011, 10:26:42 AM
<pic of Cobra orgasm>

I'll have to get a pic of my boss's GT500 Cobra show car he's tweaked. 890 hp. Doesn't even drive it.  Just tows it around from show to show, winning trophies.

:lol:
What's the point of 900 hp in that car? He'll be lucky to get a third of that on the ground.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on October 18, 2011, 05:09:10 PM
<pic of Cobra orgasm>

I'll have to get a pic of my boss's GT500 Cobra show car he's tweaked. 890 hp. Doesn't even drive it.  Just tows it around from show to show, winning trophies.

What's the point of 900 hp in that car? He'll be lucky to get a third of that on the ground.
What's the point of 900 hp in any car, or even half that?  All that's giving you is a temptation to lose your license.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Iormlund on October 18, 2011, 05:09:10 PM
<pic of Cobra orgasm>

The vibration in the crotch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2011, 05:14:41 PM
What's the point of 900 hp in any car, or even half that?  All that's giving you is a temptation to lose your license.

Spoken like the kind of guy who gets rear-ended for going too slow.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Some people like to go to the track. I do remember a video of a guy in a Veyron in a circuit.

That being said, 900 HP are not my thing, I'm more of a light car and lots of bends guy. Speaking of which, I  have to go to the track one of these days to try a 125cc Rotax kart. Mate of mine went this week and he could barely move today. :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 18, 2011, 05:54:27 PM

Spoken like the kind of guy who gets rear-ended for going too slow.  :P
You're supposed to go slow at a red light.  :mad:

Razgovory

I thought you were suppose to stop at a red light.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2011, 07:24:08 PM

This isn't Russia.  :mad:

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2011, 07:24:08 PM
Technically, yes.  But, technically, you're also supposed to not exceed the speed limit, or drive on the right side of the road.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2011, 09:03:56 PM
Technically, yes. But, technically, you're also supposed to not exceed the speed limit, or drive on the right side of the road.

What is this, England?! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2011, 05:14:41 PMWhat's the point of 900 hp in any car, or even half that?  All that's giving you is a temptation to lose your license.
The strongest car I drove so far was a Merc S500 with 400 hp. The charm is that you can always accelerate. Going up a hill and everybody gets slower? Get into the left land and accelerate to 250 kph.  :)

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2011, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2011, 04:31:35 PMI found a Mercedes C230, 2008 for 24500-26500$ (I found 2, actually, one in Montreal, one in Quebec city).  Think I'm gonna try it this week-end, if they're open.  Will see how I like this :)
Is the Mercedes a coupe or a sedan?
Must be sedan as the C class wasn't made as a coupe in 2008.

I didn't even know they make the 6 cylinder engine with such a small volume. Seems a bit pointless when you get the same power out of a 4 cylinder engine for less fuel. Then again it should mean that the engine will have less mechanical stress and thus should run much longer and probably smoother too.

I drove a car with that engine, but with 3.5l instead of 2.5l like in the C230. It's fairly powerful then and fun to drive.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2011, 12:37:33 AM
Must be sedan as the C class wasn't made as a coupe in 2008.

I didn't even know they make the 6 cylinder engine with such a small volume. Seems a bit pointless when you get the same power out of a 4 cylinder engine for less fuel. Then again it should mean that the engine will have less mechanical stress and thus should run much longer and probably smoother too.

I drove a car with that engine, but with 3.5l instead of 2.5l like in the C230. It's fairly powerful then and fun to drive.
It's advertised as a coupe, but I haven't seen it yet.  It was an exclusive for Canada around this time, apparently.
It's a small engine, but judging by the specs, it would be only a tad slower than my Camaro (1 more second for 0-100km, but it's AWD, so I can drive it all year long.   

Not a done deal yet, I do need to try the car and see if I like it.  Otherwise, I'll still need to search for a winter car, and buy a sports car next summer. 

The Subaru looks nice, but I can't find a used one, and the new ones are a tad pricey with the financing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.