News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me choose a new car

Started by viper37, June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I love my Camaro.  1998.  I still remember as it if was yesterday... But it's not yesterday :)

So, I'm thinking of changing it.

I like the exterior of the new Camaros, but I hate the retro interior.
I'm waiting 'til August to see the new ones, if they correct their awful mistake.

My friends howere are insisting I should go for an Audi or BMW.  But I can't really find an affordable model.  Sure, at 200 000$ and above, there's plenty of cars I like.  But I ain't a lawyer, so I have to settle for something below 40 000$, used or new.

Anyway, I'm looking various options.

First, what I don't want: SUVs, min-van, 4 doors, convertible.  I'll already have an SUV for winter time, a Kia something, slightly used, bought from a lady who drank&drove one too many times.  I don't necesserly need a 4-season cars, but if I can find something suitable, it'll be nice.

What I would like:
Something that has a good engine, a good performance, while not sacrificing fuel consumption (meaning below 9L/100km).  I don't need an 8 cyl. engine, a 6 cyl. will probably be enough, so no V12 Corvettes here.
I want something that looks nice, that has a semi-sport look.  No Miev here.  No PT Cruiser.  No ugly cars even if they're the most reliable or fuel efficient or most powerful in their category out there.

I don't mind buying a slightly used car, but I'd prefer rent a new one for 4-5 years if it's above 35-40k$ to buy rather than own a used car owned by a smoker or other people with such disgusting habits ( :yuk: :yuk: ).

Provide links or pictures if you can please.

Last note: price-wise, figure it's going to be 15-20% pricier than in the US and 15-20% cheaper than in Europe, after conversion in CAD$.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Slargos

Tamas

Caliga

I have to admit that I love the new Mustang. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

I'd love to get one, but just the taxes would be around $300 000 here, and then it's the cost of the car in addition. Norwegians are sick, sick people.

HisMajestyBOB

I did some used car shopping not too long ago. Ford Focuses (Foci?) and Hyundai Elantras  are pretty good and reliable, and at a few years old they usually aren't too expensive, either - about $13,000-15,000.

But I think you're looking for something flashier. Go for a BMW Z3 or Ford Mustang - both can be gotten for <$20,000 used. :showoff:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

In Sweden BMW suffers from the stigma of being an immigrant's car, so many Swedes avoid them like the plague.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

JonasSalk

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2011, 11:54:55 AM
In Sweden BMW suffers from the stigma of being an immigrant's car, so many Swedes avoid them like the plague.

That's funny. In America, we call BMW "Black Man's Wheels."
Yuman

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 09, 2011, 11:15:55 AM
I did some used car shopping not too long ago. Ford Focuses (Foci?) and Hyundai Elantras  are pretty good and reliable, and at a few years old they usually aren't too expensive, either - about $13,000-15,000.

But I think you're looking for something flashier. Go for a BMW Z3 or Ford Mustang - both can be gotten for <$20,000 used. :showoff:
BMW Z3/Z4 are convertible cars.  I don't mind having a car for summers only, but I mind having a car I can really use only 2 weeks a year.

The Shelby GT 500 starts at 60 000$.
The regular Mustang ain't so bad.  I'd need to check it out.  Nearest Ford dealer is in Quebec city though.

oh, no Focus, no Elantra.
The Hyunday Genesis looks good though.  Have to take a closer look at this.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

No. You already have a car. You don't need a second one. What you need is an Harley Davidson.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2011, 01:33:06 PM
You want a 370Z.
Looks nice :)

This is what I like :)  A bunch of cars I never tought of :)  Keep 'em coming :)

DGuller

I've been really impressed with Audis, and some more basic models are under $40k.  Don't be fooled by the 4-cylinder engine in them, the turbo-4 in the entry-level Audis is about equivalent to V6, and is much more zippy.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 09, 2011, 01:52:29 PM
No. You already have a car. You don't need a second one. What you need is an Harley Davidson.
I don't like bikes, especially these.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
I've been really impressed with Audis, and some more basic models are under $40k.  Don't be fooled by the 4-cylinder engine in them, the turbo-4 in the entry-level Audis is about equivalent to V6, and is much more zippy.
I don't really like the exterior of most of the Audis.  And they are very hard to find used around here.  New one wouldn't be a problem, if only I had unlimited funding :)