News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help me choose a new car

Started by viper37, June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Gas, tires, low mileage between servicing, that kind of thing. Of course most of that will depend on how you drive the car.

You can use it to commute and do the shopping, but also -- and as ridiculous as it sounds -- that thing can perform as well as a Porsche, Ferrari etc. It IS a rally car under the paintjob.

Grey Fox

Might be cheaper to buy a brand new Mitso then trying to find an used one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2011, 12:08:10 PMNo really, it's a 2008 C-230, unique to Canada for this year, at least.
http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2008-mercedes-benz-c230-4matic
QuoteAlongside the B-Class hatchback – a model not sold in the U.S. –  Mercedes now offers the Canada-only C230, the new entry-level version of  the C-Class, itself the starting point for Mercedes' sedans.
That's not a coupe though, but a sedan - it's got four doors after all. It's a very good car. I've driven a few and like them, never with that particular engine though as it isn't sold in Germany. The interior is a bit bland, maybe not what you would expect from a Mercedes.

QuoteAnd here is the one I'm looking forward to test.
I see that it has the automatic transmission. That's good as it is annoying with a six gear manual.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2011, 01:06:20 PM
45K$ dude...  compared to 23k-33k$ for a 2008.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on October 19, 2011, 01:10:54 PM
I see that it has the automatic transmission. That's good as it is annoying with a six gear manual.
from what I've read, these are sort of like hybrid transmission.  Never driven one of those, never driver a Mercedes, so I'll have to try.

Not many used E series around, from what I've seen.  None that I like anyway, but the price, while being on the upper limit of what I can afford now seems reasonable.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2011, 06:34:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2011, 01:06:20 PM
45K$ dude...  compared to 23k-33k$ for a 2008.

You don't have to get the Evolution. The Ralliart is good enough. Hell, the regular Lancer is good enough, starting at 15k.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on October 19, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
Gas, tires, low mileage between servicing, that kind of thing. Of course most of that will depend on how you drive the car.
given my funds right now, I'm gonna drive like a grandma  <_<

funny thing, looking at fuel consumption, I get very different numbers from where I read them... official numbers for the 2010/2011 models is 12 L/100km city, 9.7 highway, while the used car dealers advertizes it as 9L/100km city, 7.1 highway... hmm.  Unless the 2008 model was way more efficient than the 2010 and 2011, I smell something fishy there...

For the tires, I learn my lesson with my Camaro :)  These big, great looking tires with an high-performance rating barely last the summer...  And they cost a lot of $$ in speeding tickets.  Right now, I got grandma's tires, they've been there for the last 3-4 summers, barely half used.  Only 2 speeding tickets in that time.  Got to watch how I take my curves, though.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 20, 2011, 07:03:59 AM
You don't have to get the Evolution. The Ralliart is good enough. Hell, the regular Lancer is good enough, starting at 15k.
The regular Lancer looks... plain.  Wich would be a nice if I was Amish, the kind who drive cars, but I ain't.
I need good looks for my car, and something under the hood.

The Ralliart doesn't look so bad, though.

Iormlund

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2011, 09:48:27 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 19, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
given my funds right now, I'm gonna drive like a grandma  <_<

funny thing, looking at fuel consumption, I get very different numbers from where I read them... official numbers for the 2010/2011 models is 12 L/100km city, 9.7 highway, while the used car dealers advertizes it as 9L/100km city, 7.1 highway... hmm.  Unless the 2008 model was way more efficient than the 2010 and 2011, I smell something fishy there...

For the tires, I learn my lesson with my Camaro :)  These big, great looking tires with an high-performance rating barely last the summer...  And they cost a lot of $$ in speeding tickets.  Right now, I got grandma's tires, they've been there for the last 3-4 summers, barely half used.  Only 2 speeding tickets in that time.  Got to watch how I take my curves, though.

If you can take a curve in a Camaro, you can take it in an Evo. Unlike muscle cars, these are all about grip. They are designed to get around bends as fast as possible, rather than just having high straight line speed.

viper37

I tried the Evo.  The MR 2008, with the Sportstronic transmission.  When you use the "normal" mode, it performs about the same as my Camaro.  But once you use the sports mode... wow!  I'm fucking impressed.  You're actually crushed to your seat and you ain't even speeding that much.  Makes me doubt myself, as I was sure I'd buy the manual model, not that semi-automatic thing... but wow, just wow!  What a power and grip, this car has.

This is a car for me.  If I was still 20 years old :D

Though I could afford the car, I'm unsure I can control myself with such a beast in my hands.

I'm not that well seated though, and I'm concerned about the fuel consumption, even using the standard transmission mode.

I'm trying the Mercedes next tuesday, couldn't make it to Quebec city yesterday night.
If I don't fall in love with that car, I think I'll ask to rent the Evo for a full week-end, to make my mind.

But what a car.   :wub: :wub:

Iormlund

Zanza

If that's what you are looking for in a car, testing the Mercedes seems pointless as it's not that kind of car.

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 10:23:58 AM
I love my Camaro.  1998.  I still remember as it if was yesterday... But it's not yesterday :)

So, I'm thinking of changing it.

I like the exterior of the new Camaros, but I hate the retro interior.
I'm waiting 'til August to see the new ones, if they correct their awful mistake.

My friends howere are insisting I should go for an Audi or BMW.  But I can't really find an affordable model.  Sure, at 200 000$ and above, there's plenty of cars I like.  But I ain't a lawyer, so I have to settle for something below 40 000$, used or new.

Anyway, I'm looking various options.

First, what I don't want: SUVs, min-van, 4 doors, convertible.  I'll already have an SUV for winter time, a Kia something, slightly used, bought from a lady who drank&drove one too many times.  I don't necesserly need a 4-season cars, but if I can find something suitable, it'll be nice.

What I would like:
Something that has a good engine, a good performance, while not sacrificing fuel consumption (meaning below 9L/100km).  I don't need an 8 cyl. engine, a 6 cyl. will probably be enough, so no V12 Corvettes here.
I want something that looks nice, that has a semi-sport look.  No Miev here.  No PT Cruiser.  No ugly cars even if they're the most reliable or fuel efficient or most powerful in their category out there.

I don't mind buying a slightly used car, but I'd prefer rent a new one for 4-5 years if it's above 35-40k$ to buy rather than own a used car owned by a smoker or other people with such disgusting habits ( :yuk: :yuk: ).

Provide links or pictures if you can please.

Last note: price-wise, figure it's going to be 15-20% pricier than in the US and 15-20% cheaper than in Europe, after conversion in CAD$.

Eclipse 2012.
Accept no sustitute.
Go for black, though.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Isn't Mitsubishi the loser of Japanese automakers?

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on October 22, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
If that's what you are looking for in a car, testing the Mercedes seems pointless as it's not that kind of car.
I know it's not the same kind of car.  I don't want to try similar cars, I want to get different feelings, see if I'm mature enough to drive an old person's car like a Mercedes (the one with the "flying" doors looks nice though :P ) or if I'm still young at heart, yet mature enough to drive such a powerful car as the Evo.  :)

I'll make my mind tomorrow about comfort vs speed :)