News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pawlenty Google Test

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 08, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2011, 01:27:48 PM
We should absolutely privatize the post office.  Numerous private companies do very fine delivery work - why do they need to compete with government?
Considering you lived in White Horse, I'm surprised you'd ask this question. Post Office is an prime example of a service that actually requires a government subsidy/provider.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2011, 01:54:05 PM
Fun factoid:  on rural delivery routes, the US mail is delivered by private individuals, chosen on the basis of lowest bid.

I think you're wrong on this.  The Rural Letter Carriers have a union and everything.
http://www.nrlca.org/

Note that to become a member you must "first be employed by the USPS and work in the Rural Carrier Craft as a Regular, Substitute, RCR, or RCA." (emphasis added).
http://www.nrlca.org/nrlca_membership/how_to_become_a_member/index.cfm

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2011, 01:52:21 PM
Maybe it wouldn't be unprofitable at a higher price? Fed Ex goes almost anywhere, and I don't know that their pricing is so complicated. Email is the answer.

What about police work? Should individuals living in dangerous neighbourhoods be charged an extra tax to cover extra costs of police work there? Your reasoning leads to madness like this.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on June 08, 2011, 01:24:36 PM
Also all the armed forces.  Just google for private military.

I have been in favor of just hiring a mercenary army for years.  Particularly if each company has a cool name.  We could hire the Black Falcons to conquer Iran for us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

You hired Blackwater to torture prisoners for you in Iraq.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
What about police work? Should individuals living in dangerous neighbourhoods be charged an extra tax to cover extra costs of police work there? Your reasoning leads to madness like this.

Well if a city is more dangerous and requires extra cops that is pretty much how it goes down.  Except the entire city pays more taxes rather than the neighborhood.  Governments do not get that local :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2011, 02:03:16 PM
You hired Blackwater to torture prisoners for you in Iraq.  :)

Pretty sure we had the regular government troops do it in their bureaucratic government way.  We could have saved tons of money per torturee that way.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on June 08, 2011, 02:00:28 PM
I think you're wrong on this.  The Rural Letter Carriers have a union and everything.
http://www.nrlca.org/

Note that to become a member you must "first be employed by the USPS and work in the Rural Carrier Craft as a Regular, Substitute, RCR, or RCA." (emphasis added).
http://www.nrlca.org/nrlca_membership/how_to_become_a_member/index.cfm

How do your links show that I'm wrong?  Rural mail is delivered by private contractors.  To become a member of the NRLCA you first have to be a private contractor who delivers rural mail.

Admiral Yi

That's the way it works by city. 

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2011, 01:52:21 PM
Maybe it wouldn't be unprofitable at a higher price? Fed Ex goes almost anywhere, and I don't know that their pricing is so complicated. Email is the answer.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that police work be privatized though...are they?

Why is it such an injustice if some people somewhere pay more for mail delivery? There are innumerable advantages and disadvantages to living in various places. What is it about delivery service (but only for 1st class mail, of course - apparently it is perfectly ok that other things that need to be delivered have variable costs) that demands government intervention in order to make sure everyone pays the same?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:07:32 PM

Why is it such an injustice if some people somewhere pay more for mail delivery? There are innumerable advantages and disadvantages to living in various places. What is it about delivery service (but only for 1st class mail, of course - apparently it is perfectly ok that other things that need to be delivered have variable costs) that demands government intervention in order to make sure everyone pays the same?

It's the Law. Therefore it is the only possible way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2011, 02:06:07 PM
How do your links show that I'm wrong?  Rural mail is delivered by private contractors.  To become a member of the NRLCA you first have to be a private contractor who delivers rural mail.

My links show that rural mail is delivered by employees of the USPS, not by private contractors.  I bolded that part for you and everything.

Edit: also check out the union agreement:

QuoteThis Agreement (referred to as the USPS-NRLCA 2006 National Agreement) is entered into as of December 3, 2007, by and between the United States Postal Service (hereinafter referred to as the "Employer") and the National Rural Letter Carriers' Association (hereinafter referred to as the "Union") and supersedes the provisions of the Extension to the 2000 USPS-NRLCA National Agreement.
The Employer recognizes the Union as the exclusive bargaining representative of all employees in the bargaining
unit for which the Union has been recognized and certified at the national level.
(emphasis added)

DGuller

There are two more reasons why it's not completely illogical for postal service to be a monopoly.  First of all, infrastructure costs are enormous, and competition would duplicate them, like with many utilities.  Another reason is that postal system is a network, and suffers from a network effect.  Both of those effects tend to create natural monopolies.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2011, 01:27:48 PM
We should absolutely privatize the post office.  Numerous private companies do very fine delivery work - why do they need to compete with government?
Considering you lived in White Horse, I'm surprised you'd ask this question. Post Office is an prime example of a service that actually requires a government subsidy/provider.

Almost all the mail I get is junk, with some mail that duplicates emails (I receive some bills by email and mail). The very few pieces of mail I get that I actually need are from government sources (tax notices, jury summons). I guess some of the major beneficiaries of the subsidies are mass marketers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2011, 02:10:32 PM
There are two more reasons why it's not completely illogical for postal service to be a monopoly.  First of all, infrastructure costs are enormous, and competition would duplicate them, like with many utilities.  Another reason is that postal system is a network, and suffers from a network effect.  Both of those effects tend to create natural monopolies.

Although I know they are on a smaller scale with somewhat different services offered, don't UPS, Fed Ex, and DHL already duplicate the basics of what the postal service does?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014