And we're back!

Main Menu

A question for the Jews

Started by Slargos, June 05, 2011, 02:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on June 05, 2011, 04:55:37 PM
Speaking of which, another question for the Jews:

We know you can't say "Jehovah" (or some other spelling equivalent) but can you quote a post with "Jehovah" in it? What about posting in a thread with "Jehovah" in the title?
What's wrong with Jehovah?  :huh:

DGuller

HVC

'sides should Jehova even count? The jews spent so many generations trying really hard to not say his name that they don't even know what his name really sounds like.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Slargos

Well. This has been very illuminating.

I read the wikipedia entry of Mitzvah and after reading the passage of Constant Mitzvot I can only conclude that most Jews seem to be horrible, horrible Jews.

I had no idea.

Siege

Quote from: HVC on June 05, 2011, 05:01:38 PM
The jews spent so many generations trying really hard to not say his name that they don't even know what his name really sounds like.

That's what the dudes translating the Torah to foreign languages thought.
They could not tell the diference between Adonai, Elohim, Hashem, and the actual Name.
I know the correct pronounciation, and I shall not tell you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on June 05, 2011, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2011, 02:31:37 PM
I just watched "The Infidel" with Alexy Sayle, his muslim character continually uses "jesus!" and "christ!" when he gets cutt off in traffic.

He wasn't in it, the lead character was played by Omid Djalili, who iirc be from an exiled family of Zorastrian Iranians, as opposed to Alexie's Jewish Marxist background.

damn, fat bald english immigrants with big noses all look alike.... I am suitably humbled...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 05, 2011, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2011, 04:36:01 PM
Jesus, Slargos, your schtick is so so tired.

I don't know about Slargos, but I gotta agree about Jesus. Each year, every Good Friday he dies and ever Easter he is resurrected. I mean, hello? Like maybe it was a surprise the first 200 years, but not anymore.  :rolleyes:

I'd pay to see you try to pull off the trick just once.  Don't even have to wait for Good Friday.  Next Friday will be fine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2011, 07:35:42 PM
The jews spent so many generations trying really hard to not say his name that they don't even know what his name really sounds like.

They could not tell the diference between Adonai, Elohim, Hashem, and the actual Name.

If you know that means someone told you and thus greatly anger the Lord :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2011, 07:35:42 PM
No you don't.  When your holy books were written, they were written in Aramaic transliteration of the proto-Hebrew language, and later translated into Hebrew, which was effectively extinguished as a for a long period of time.  You're mispronouncing יְהֹוָה, and you don't even realize it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on June 05, 2011, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 05, 2011, 04:55:37 PM
Speaking of which, another question for the Jews:

We know you can't say "Jehovah" (or some other spelling equivalent) but can you quote a post with "Jehovah" in it? What about posting in a thread with "Jehovah" in the title?
What's wrong with Jehovah?  :huh:

I only said "this meal was good enough for Jehovah!"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 08:26:53 PM
No you don't.  When your holy books were written, they were written in Aramaic transliteration of the proto-Hebrew language, and later translated into Hebrew, which was effectively extinguished as a for a long period of time.  You're mispronouncing יְהֹוָה, and you don't even realize it.

I am aware that the Aramaic of the Persian era was pretty common in some of the later books of Tanakh but...a claim that somehow the entire thing was originally written in Aramaic is new.  Where are you getting that from?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Slargos on June 05, 2011, 05:07:41 PM
Well. This has been very illuminating.

I read the wikipedia entry of Mitzvah and after reading the passage of Constant Mitzvot I can only conclude that most Jews seem to be horrible, horrible Jews.

I had no idea.

Most Jews obey biblical law with the same sort of strict discipline as most Christians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2011, 10:20:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 08:26:53 PM

I am aware that the Aramaic of the Persian era was pretty common in some of the later books of Tanakh but...a claim that somehow the entire thing was originally written in Aramaic is new.  Where are you getting that from?
It would have had to have been, since Hebrew was written in the Aramaic alphabet during the period that the earlier books were written.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 10:40:06 PM
It would have had to have been, since Hebrew was written in the Aramaic alphabet during the period that the earlier books were written.

But the Hebrew Alphabet pretty much is the Aramaic alphabet is it not?