And we're back!

Main Menu

Gold Standard Movement Growing

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2011, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2011, 01:50:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 01:28:39 AM
When does it stop being a currency and becomes barter, in your scenario?

When people trade goods and services for other goods and services.

Well, a cigarette is a "good" so why do you say it's a "currency" in prison? I know it is a colloquial term, but it just fits your definition of a barter.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 02:43:07 AM
Well, a cigarette is a "good" so why do you say it's a "currency" in prison? I know it is a colloquial term, but it just fits your definition of a barter.

In a barter system ALL goods and services get traded for ALL OTHER goods and services.  In post war Germany you could theoretically have traded one fuck for a bag of coal, but you didn't.  You traded the fuck for a pack of smokes first, then traded the smokes for the bag of coal.  That made it a de facto currency.

Razgovory

I think that might be more a medium of exchange then a currency.  Most Barter systems didn't rely on trade of any one thing for any one thing else.  Before currency they would trade in grain or copper ingots, however neither could really be called a currency.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2011, 07:09:15 PM
Gold has an extremely low storage cost, as it doesn't burn, rust, mix with other elements, etc.

relative to copper sure, but in an absolute sense, it is a PITA to transport and store.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2011, 09:05:53 AM
Gold has an extremely low storage cost, as it doesn't burn, rust, mix with other elements, etc.

relative to copper sure, but in an absolute sense, it is a PITA to transport and store.
Don't understand.  How is $4000 worth of gold more difficult to transport and store than, say, $4000 worth of feathers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 12:25:01 PMDon't understand.  How is $4000 worth of gold more difficult to transport and store than, say, $4000 worth of feathers?

I think the pain is relative to fiat currencies. Compared electronic credits and paper currency, gold is inconvenient.

I expect it's only compared to other commodity backed currencies that gold shines, so to speak.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 12:25:01 PM

Don't understand.  How is $4000 worth of gold more difficult to transport and store than, say, $4000 worth of feathers?

Or $4000 worth of compressed air. Now that is a doozie.

mongers

Quote from: Slargos on June 06, 2011, 12:35:50 PM

Probably around 1000 cubic metres worth.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on June 06, 2011, 01:03:49 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 06, 2011, 12:35:50 PM

Probably around 1000 cubic metres worth.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

I think Ide's point is correct and revolves around the ability of anything to be a store fo value. The supply of gold is limited, but the demand is largely driven by the convention that gold is a store of value. That convention could erode to the point the price of gold collapses.

A paper fiat currency has to rely on the government to limit supply, and ultimately has similar demand side problems (though the state can protect the demand side by requiring the currency's use).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

I agree that feathers would be a very poor choice for a monetary base, even worse than gold.

I stand by my statement, however.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 12:27:49 PM
I think the pain is relative to fiat currencies. Compared electronic credits and paper currency, gold is inconvenient.

I expect it's only compared to other commodity backed currencies that gold shines, so to speak.
Yes, of course.  Gold is too rare to serve as an actual currency.  The question was about why gold had historically been used as a currency.  It has long since been replaced by fiat currencies, but was not itself a fiat currency (which was the issue I was addressing).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

QuoteThe question was about why gold had historically been used as a currency.

Dragons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
I think Ide's point is correct and revolves around the ability of anything to be a store fo value. The supply of gold is limited, but the demand is largely driven by the convention that gold is a store of value. That convention could erode to the point the price of gold collapses.
I disagree.  Gold has been used as a reserve of value since long before there were fiat currencies.  The introduction of fiat paper currencies was necessary to economic growth, because there simply wasn't enough gold (and silver) to serve the currency needs of early modern societies. 

If you take a pig to market and want to trade it for wheat, but nobody has wheat that day, it is better to go home with a pig's worth of gold and silver than a pig's worth of beats or even a pig's worth of pig - though not as good as a pig's worth of greenbacks.

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 12:27:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 12:25:01 PMDon't understand.  How is $4000 worth of gold more difficult to transport and store than, say, $4000 worth of feathers?

Gold is a commodity, but as I already said, it is not an essential commodity, which makes it amenable to being a currency without having exponentially ill effects on the economy.