News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gold Standard Movement Growing

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2011, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Gold is useful for a unit of exchance precisely because it is useless and rare.  If we needed it for something else it would make a pretty shitty currency and likewise if it was common people would spend their time hoarding it instead of working.  So it was perfect back in more primitive times.

But it makes no sense in a modern economy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 04, 2011, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2011, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2011, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2011, 09:18:28 PM
The value of gold has always struck me as absolutely bizarre.  I sort of understand its value as a currency in ancient economies, but other than its lack of reactivity it's not really good for that much (except wiring and some other industrial applications).  Isn't gold really just as much fiat currency as paper?
It's decorative and it doesn't oxidize.
Yeah, but nobody says we ought to move to a graphite standard.

What happened to Aluminum?

I changed it.  Aluminium passivates, and therefore resists corrosion, but I believe doesn't remain in one piece over geological timeframes.  Graphite will under standard conditions, I think, because of its extremely low reaction rates.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Besides, if the shit hits the fan to the point of economic armageddon, as the gold-standard types are afraid of, the new currencies will be shotguns and canned goods.

Razgovory

Also I think Aluminum was regarded as very valuable in the 19th century, I think that's why they capped the Washington Monument with an aluminum pyramid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 04, 2011, 10:27:29 PM
Besides, if the shit hits the fan to the point of economic armageddon, as the gold-standard types are afraid of, the new currencies will be shotguns and canned goods.

If the shit hits the fan what money will be whatever the government wants it to be.  A major disaster will mean more government, not less.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 04, 2011, 10:28:46 PM
Also I think Aluminum was regarded as very valuable in the 19th century, I think that's why they capped the Washington Monument with an aluminum pyramid.

You are correct sir.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 04, 2011, 10:30:34 PM

If the shit hits the fan what money will be whatever the government wants it to be.  A major disaster will mean more government, not less.

I'd rather not to go around having to break up food riots.  :(

HVC

Used to be very hard to process. Not so much anymore, but a very large percentage of the worlds power supply is used to make it now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2011, 10:11:08 PM
Gold is useful for a unit of exchance precisely because it is useless and rare.  If we needed it for something else it would make a pretty shitty currency and likewise if it was common people would spend their time hoarding it instead of working.  So it was perfect back in more primitive times.

Don't forget shiny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2011, 07:21:15 PM
I've generally been skeptical of the gold standard, but maybe with this runaway 2% hyperinflation we're experiencing drastic measures are called for.
:XD:

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 04, 2011, 10:36:26 PM

You ever see the movie "Threads"?  That's what a breakdown of society would be like.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 04, 2011, 11:55:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 04, 2011, 10:36:26 PM

You ever see the movie "Threads"?  That's what a breakdown of society would be like.

We'd turn English.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

At the time that was the largest single block of Aluminum in the world.

hmm.. that would have been a good question for the history quiz thread...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2011, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2011, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2011, 09:18:28 PM
The value of gold has always struck me as absolutely bizarre.  I sort of understand its value as a currency in ancient economies, but other than its lack of reactivity it's not really good for that much (except wiring and some other industrial applications).  Isn't gold really just as much fiat currency as paper?
It's decorative and it doesn't oxidize.
Yeah, but nobody says we ought to move to a graphite standard.

That's a great idea!  He with the most Blackwing pencils wins.