News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gold Standard Movement Growing

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2011, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 06, 2011, 05:01:32 PM
QuoteThe question was about why gold had historically been used as a currency.

Dragons.
Dragons explain why gold is rare, not why it is used as a currency.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 04:59:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 12:27:49 PM
I think the pain is relative to fiat currencies. Compared electronic credits and paper currency, gold is inconvenient.

I expect it's only compared to other commodity backed currencies that gold shines, so to speak.
Yes, of course.  Gold is too rare to serve as an actual currency.  The question was about why gold had historically been used as a currency.  It has long since been replaced by fiat currencies, but was not itself a fiat currency (which was the issue I was addressing).

Probably, because it was already valuable prior to the invention of money.  It was rare and used in jewelry and ceremonial object giving it value, but wasn't used for practical things like plowshares or swords.  It could be worked fairly easily as well (as opposed to say, Lapis lazuli which can't be melted down)  Making it a coin just standardized the trading of ingots.  Same thing with with silver.  As a coin you didn't have to argue about weight and purity since this was standardized and it's value was promised by the government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
I think Ide's point is correct and revolves around the ability of anything to be a store fo value. The supply of gold is limited, but the demand is largely driven by the convention that gold is a store of value. That convention could erode to the point the price of gold collapses.
I disagree.  Gold has been used as a reserve of value since long before there were fiat currencies.  The introduction of fiat paper currencies was necessary to economic growth, because there simply wasn't enough gold (and silver) to serve the currency needs of early modern societies. 

If you take a pig to market and want to trade it for wheat, but nobody has wheat that day, it is better to go home with a pig's worth of gold and silver than a pig's worth of beats or even a pig's worth of pig - though not as good as a pig's worth of greenbacks.

Unless of course you happen to be unlucky enough that a Jew has created a pig and wheat brokerage and backed by armed thugs takes half the value of every transaction, leaving you with only a quarter-pig's worth of wheat once you've finished trading.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

I ask myself that question every day.  :sleep:

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 07, 2011, 04:48:02 AM
WTF is wrong with you?

He's boring, that's what.  I'm not sure where he got the idea of a European who hates Jews would be unique, but seems to be under that impression.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2011, 05:27:47 AM
WTF is wrong with you?

He's boring, that's what.  I'm not sure where he got the idea of a European who hates Jews would be unique, but seems to be under that impression.

:mad:

My offer of free beer is rescinded. GOOD DAY, Sir.

[Besides, I don't hate all jews, just some of them]

Razgovory

Slargos

grumbler

WTF is wrong with you?
TSS - tired schtick syndrome.  His schtick really belongs in the hospital bed next to Neil's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2011, 05:27:47 AM
I'm not sure where he got the idea of a European who hates Jews would be unique, but seems to be under that impression.

:lol:  Wondertwin powers activate! Form of...a stereotype!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2011, 06:24:54 AM
WTF is wrong with you?
TSS - tired schtick syndrome.  His schtick really belongs in the hospital bed next to Neil's.

I think we should make it a policy that posters must reinvent themselves every couple years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2011, 06:44:13 AM
WTF is wrong with you?

I think we should make it a policy that posters must reinvent themselves every couple years.

no
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

WTF is wrong with you?

I don't recall him having it very long, it's just not very good. 

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2011, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
I think Ide's point is correct and revolves around the ability of anything to be a store fo value. The supply of gold is limited, but the demand is largely driven by the convention that gold is a store of value. That convention could erode to the point the price of gold collapses.
I disagree.  Gold has been used as a reserve of value since long before there were fiat currencies.  The introduction of fiat paper currencies was necessary to economic growth, because there simply wasn't enough gold (and silver) to serve the currency needs of early modern societies. 

If you take a pig to market and want to trade it for wheat, but nobody has wheat that day, it is better to go home with a pig's worth of gold and silver than a pig's worth of beats or even a pig's worth of pig - though not as good as a pig's worth of greenbacks.

I'm not sure you understood the point I was trying to make--your argument doesn't relate to what I was saying.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014