Vive L'Empereur!
33 (48.5%)
Rule Britannia
35 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2011, 03:35:19 PM
Very touch choice.

On the one hand England was a parliamentary democracy, on the other it was allied with all of the reactionary monarchies. 

Is it fair to call it a parliamentary democracy when it had severe restrictions on free speech, discriminated against religious minorities, oppressed Ireland (to say nothing of India), etc.?

My choice goes to the House of Washington, who built a nation based on liberty, and justice, for all. Evenually.  :yeah:

Solmyr

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on June 04, 2011, 02:29:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2011, 02:21:21 AM
What? No love for the guy who gave you the dynasy of buxomy slutty princesses and pervy strip-club-frequenting Kings??

Say what you will about the Bernadottes, but they kept us at peace for 200 years. I can't think of a more successful dynasty.

I figured you would be pissed that they didn't lock lips with Hitler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on June 04, 2011, 02:29:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2011, 02:21:21 AM
What? No love for the guy who gave you the dynasy of buxomy slutty princesses and pervy strip-club-frequenting Kings??

Say what you will about the Bernadottes, but they kept us at peace for 200 years. I can't think of a more successful dynasty.

Easy to be at peace when you rule a race of cowards occupying land nobody wants.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Far too many Brit fanbois around here.  As I was telling my man Buskers this morning, it's positively stifling, what what.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Archy on June 04, 2011, 12:32:23 AM
Brittania rules the waves  :bowler:

Otherwise I would haven been a French citoyen of the department of the Deux Nèthes!  <_<
It's bad enough having to share a country with the Walloons, being a French minority would be even worse!

Indeed indeed.

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on June 04, 2011, 07:14:20 AM
Very touch choice.

On the one hand England was a parliamentary democracy, on the other it was allied with all of the reactionary monarchies. 

Is it fair to call it a parliamentary democracy when it had severe restrictions on free speech, discriminated against religious minorities, oppressed Ireland (to say nothing of India), etc.?

Yes it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Very touch choice.

My choice goes to the House of Washington, who built a nation based on liberty, and justice, for all. Evenually.  :yeah:
Given that the US at the time discriminated against religious minorities, oppressed the natives and kept a quarter of their population as slaves, maybe you should shut your mouth, you ignorant Martinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2011, 01:39:48 PM
Very touch choice.

Given that the US at the time discriminated against religious minorities, oppressed the natives and kept a quarter of their population as slaves, maybe you should shut your mouth, you ignorant Martinus.

So you vote Washington as well?  :P

Ideologue

Very touch choice.

Yes, around the same time the United Kingdom became anything we would recognize as free.  Perhaps a bit afterward.

Everything prior to, roughly, the 1940s is evil, and much of it thereafter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Solmyr

Faeelin

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2011, 02:36:04 PM
Everything prior to, roughly, the 1940s is evil, and much of it thereafter.

If you actually believe that, then the rush to defend Britannia this thread exhibits seems silly.