Vive L'Empereur!
33 (48.5%)
Rule Britannia
35 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2011, 03:41:31 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 05, 2011, 02:30:42 PM
Is it fair to call the US a democracy when you don't allow all your citizens the vote?

Ron Paul was just on the news saying that the US is not a democracy.

Was it clear that Ron Paul knew which century he was living in?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 03:45:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2011, 03:27:52 PM

The advance of morality in the decades following World War II is really an amazing thing.  But it's certainly not unfair to judge historical regimes by modern standards.  Those standards may continue to evolve, but if they can't be applied universally then they're not really standards, and more like opinions, aren't they?  And you don't get much of anywhere by having an opinion that slavery and genocide are wrong.

Yes, but you misunderstand me.  I'm not talking about morality.  I'm talking about government.  I'm saying it's unfair to so narrowly define Democracy to only the government we have right now.

Which definition wouldn't be unfair?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2011, 03:41:31 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 05, 2011, 02:30:42 PM
Is it fair to call the US a democracy when you don't allow all your citizens the vote?

Ron Paul was just on the news saying that the US is not a democracy.

Was it clear that Ron Paul knew which century he was living in?

I only saw the headline as I was walking through the lobby of my hotel, so no clue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 03:45:50 PM

The advance of morality in the decades following World War II is really an amazing thing.  But it's certainly not unfair to judge historical regimes by modern standards.  Those standards may continue to evolve, but if they can't be applied universally then they're not really standards, and more like opinions, aren't they?  And you don't get much of anywhere by having an opinion that slavery and genocide are wrong.

Yes, but you misunderstand me.  I'm not talking about morality.  I'm talking about government.  I'm saying it's unfair to so narrowly define Democracy to only the government we have right now.

The thing is, with Democracy, quantity translates into quality. If you call a government where "only some people have a vote" a Democracy, then it becomes rather tricky to justify why the US in 1799 was a Democracy (only the land-owning non-slave non-Indian males could vote) and Poland-Lithuania in 1791 wasn't (only the land-owning non-commoner males could vote - which amounted to app. 10% of the general populace and you could buy a noble title), considering in both cases the majority of the populace did not have a vote.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 05, 2011, 03:44:34 PM
But it's certainly not unfair to judge historical regimes by modern standards. 

Fair or not, it's not remotely useful to do so.
Of course it's useful.  By identifying what is immoral or unwise from history, we can prevent similar mistakes from being made in the future.  Also, there's a nice feeling associated with realizing that you're a better and brighter human being than almost anyone who has ever lived.

Quote from: RazYes, but you misunderstand me.  I'm not talking about morality.  I'm talking about government.  I'm saying it's unfair to so narrowly define Democracy to only the government we have right now.

I did misunderstand a little bit, but like morality, it's not correct to call a system a democracy when, if it existed in the present, we would not recognize as a democracy.  At least, you have to qualify it with something, like calling the US an "emerging" democracy.

If that means that the future ones can find us wanting as well, that's fine with me.  That's their prerogative, just as we can and should look down on past people who don't measure up to our own standards.  Although we have a relatively novel advantage in that we can far more concretely conceive of people from the future judging us harshly, and put ourselves in their place, which makes us less likely to be total assholes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

But all that really means is that we don't have any standards at all, but rather fashions.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 05, 2011, 03:44:34 PM
But it's certainly not unfair to judge historical regimes by modern standards. 

Fair or not, it's not remotely useful to do so.
It is probably fair to compare Napoleonic France to its contemporaries, though.

No country of the period was "democratic" in the sense that we mean the term today.  But Britain was arguably less democratic (democracy = "rule by the will of the people") than France at that point.  It most certainly was not a democratic parliamentary system, as only the House of Commons was elected at all, and that by a tiny fraction of the populace (and the Commons had much less power at that point than it would later in the century).

Britain was a more "constitutional" state in that her leadership was more restricted by her constitution than France's was by hers, and one can certainly argue that this was one of the secrets to British success in these wars and later.  But that's not the same thing as "rule by the will of the people."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2011, 05:03:49 PM

I did misunderstand a little bit, but like morality, it's not correct to call a system a democracy when, if it existed in the present, we would not recognize as a democracy.  At least, you have to qualify it with something, like calling the US an "emerging" democracy.

If that means that the future ones can find us wanting as well, that's fine with me.  That's their prerogative, just as we can and should look down on past people who don't measure up to our own standards.  Although we have a relatively novel advantage in that we can far more concretely conceive of people from the future judging us harshly, and put ourselves in their place, which makes us less likely to be total assholes.

Well the term Democracy was coined to describe forms of government before the modern era, so I'm not sure we get to chose which ones are closer to a Democratic ideal then our forebearers.  (is this a word?  Spell Check doesn't like it.  Bleh).  Still, a qualifier is probably the best solution.  Democracy has described a lot of governments over time.  5th century Athens, 1950's East Germany and 1880's America all claimed to be a Democracy (well, I'm not sure if the Athenians actually called it a Democracy at the time, but it's the term used in modern history for it), but differ wildly in their governments.  Presumably they all believed they had a more perfect form of it.  At least those in a position to write stuff down at least.

As to situation at hand, I'm not sure how Britons and Frenchmen regarded their governments at the time or how free they were.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2011, 09:07:34 AM
Pretty funny, all this Brit ass-to-mouth action coming from a Canadian. You don't even realize how insignificant they consider you, do you?
Don't know, don't care.  The bonds that bound the Empire together are disintegrating year by year.  But there are still people out there who remember that the greatest force for good and justice that the world has ever known was the British Empire, and that Canada was second only to England herself in that great assemblage of peoples.

:lol:  Wayne Gretsky

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2011, 07:25:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2011, 09:07:34 AM
Pretty funny, all this Brit ass-to-mouth action coming from a Canadian. You don't even realize how insignificant they consider you, do you?
Don't know, don't care.  The bonds that bound the Empire together are disintegrating year by year.  But there are still people out there who remember that the greatest force for good and justice that the world has ever known was the British Empire, and that Canada was second only to England herself in that great assemblage of peoples.

:lol:  Wayne Gretsky
Pump your brakes there.  That man's a national treasure,
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on June 05, 2011, 07:50:03 PM
Pump your brakes there.  That man's a national treasure,

That's rather ethnic phrasing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Well, I'm going to withdraw what I said earlier, since both the Athenian Democracy and the Polish Nobles' Democracy are considered to be form of democracies by scholars, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Liberty

So I think Ide is talking about "liberal democracy" and refusing to call "democracy" every other form of democracy.

Drakken

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2011, 06:16:11 PM

No country of the period was "democratic" in the sense that we mean the term today.  But Britain was arguably less democratic (democracy = "rule by the will of the people") than France at that point

How so? The Constitution of the Year VIII allowed people only to choose names to present on a list of notables, from which members of the Assembly and public servants on all three government levels were either nominated by the government or elected by the Senate.

At least the House of Commons was elected directly from the population, even with a limited census, and people had a say on local administrators (mayors, JPs, sheriffs). In France all mayors in towns and communes over 5000 pops were directly nominated by Napoleon.

Valmy

Yeah Napoleon was about as democratic as Louis XIV.  At least, according to his nephew (who I have a soft spot for since he actually did do this at the end of his reign), the plan was to eventually make it democratic this was supposed to be a transition phase.  Of course I doubt Napoleon I himself would have allowed that to happen while he was alive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."