Food pyramid out, 'My Plate' in for healthy eating

Started by garbon, June 02, 2011, 03:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2011, 07:17:05 AM
Cal has turned into a damned hippy.

#1 on the Ed Anger disapproval list. SON, I AM DISAPPOINT.

Actually I think he just wants people to suffer from low calcium.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

All I'm trying to say is that it's not necessary for a balanced diet so it probably shouldn't be on this dumb 'food plate' thing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Adults shouldnt consume milk as a drink. Period.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2011, 07:22:13 AM

unless you're a menopausal woman you get all the calcium you need from leafy greens and meat. And even if you're a menopausal woman dairy won't give you enough and you'll need supplements.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 08:51:21 AM

unless you're a menopausal woman you get all the calcium you need from leafy greens and meat. And even if you're a menopausal woman dairy won't give you enough and you'll need supplements.

I'm sure that everyone eat sufficient amounts of leafy greens a day. :P

And then of course, there is the related issue that many people suffer from vitamin d deficiencies.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2011, 08:54:36 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 08:51:21 AM

I'm sure that everyone eat sufficient amounts of leafy greens a day. :P

And then of course, there is the related issue that many people suffer from vitamin d deficiencies.
less greens means more meat so it balances out :lol:

Unless you're a nomad you really don't need milk as a balanced part of your diet. which is what i believe cal was getting at.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

KRonn

HVC

Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2011, 09:03:26 AM
I think the protein slice is too big.   :unsure:
there's proteing in a lot of stuff. i don't like this plate. Give me pictures of stuff i'm supposed to eat not a coloured wedge that could mean any combination of things.

DGuller

Are you supposed to eyeball the areas?  And what do the areas represent?  Calories, portions, something else?

garbon

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 08:57:02 AM
less greens means more meat so it balances out :lol:

We have a lot of sources of non-food. Besides, it is totally possible to get through the day with little leafy greens and little meat.

Razgovory

I bet you can stack several steaks on that small portion area.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2011, 09:47:48 AM
I bet you can stack several steaks on that small portion area.

Mmmmmm, a stack of Filet Mignon. A new item from Denny's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2011, 05:24:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
Why not?
Because you can live a perfectly healthy life without ever having consumed dairy products, and further a huge percentage of the world's people are lactose intolerant.  When was the last time you had cheese at a Chinese restaurant? :)
People who are lactose intolerant will be outcompeted.  My bones are adamantium--thanks to milk!

Martinus' bones are probably like chalk.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.