Food pyramid out, 'My Plate' in for healthy eating

Started by garbon, June 02, 2011, 03:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2011, 08:49:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 08:06:15 AM
Adults shouldnt consume milk as a drink. Period.

:huh:

It's pretty rare to drink milk for Euros (except baby formula of course). My family only keeps milk for cooking purposes, cakes, pastries, that sort of thing. We do eat lots of cheese and yogurt though.

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on June 03, 2011, 03:53:36 PM

It's pretty rare to drink milk for Euros (except baby formula of course). My family only keeps milk for cooking purposes, cakes, pastries, that sort of thing. We do eat lots of cheese and yogurt though.

I just can't fathom where a glass of milk would be a preferable beverage to anything else. I eat dairy products, and I put a lot of milk in my coffee and the like, but drinking a glass of pure watery cow fat? No thank you. I can get my calcium from much more appetizing sources.

I have always been especially grossed out by the concept of people having a glass of milk to a dinner meal or some such. Totally disgusting.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2011, 02:14:41 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2011, 05:24:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
Why not?
Because you can live a perfectly healthy life without ever having consumed dairy products, and further a huge percentage of the world's people are lactose intolerant.  When was the last time you had cheese at a Chinese restaurant? :)
People who are lactose intolerant will be outcompeted.  My bones are adamantium--thanks to milk!

Martinus' bones are probably like chalk.

Never had a bone in my body broken.

Besides, a vegetarian isn't really in a position to lecture anyone about a balanced diet.  :rolleyes:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on June 03, 2011, 05:53:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2011, 04:19:50 PM
Ugh, too much fruit. Carbs anyone?  :rolleyes:

Too much fruit? What the fuck?

This is what happens when you solicit culinary advice from a Pole and and Irishman.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: KRonn on June 03, 2011, 09:03:26 AM
I think the protein slice is too big.   :unsure:

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish (and why such pictures and one-size-fits-all diets are a crock of shit). You need to eat different food when you want to lose weight, and different food when you are exercising and need to get energy and muscles. Plus individual intolerance to certain types of foods is often ignored, with bad results.

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 03:56:56 PM

I just can't fathom where a glass of milk would be a preferable beverage to anything else. I eat dairy products, and I put a lot of milk in my coffee and the like, but drinking a glass of pure watery cow fat? No thank you. I can get my calcium from much more appetizing sources.

I have always been especially grossed out by the concept of people having a glass of milk to a dinner meal or some such. Totally disgusting.
it's good when accompanied with something sweet like cookies.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Key missing element on this plate: the big circle for fermented grape products.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 04:00:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 03:56:56 PM

it's good when accompanied with something sweet like cookies.

Ok, I'm going to admit it.

Still, I have seen people drink a glass of milk with a steak or stuff like that.  :shutup:

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2011, 04:01:15 PM

Seconded.

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
make it part of your fruit and carb quotient.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ed Anger

If booze is included, the English circle for it would be HUGE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

One problem that I see with this plate is that half of it is not made up of blueberries.

HVC

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2011, 04:03:38 PM

Still, I have seen people drink a glass of milk with a steak or stuff like that.  :shutup:
Ya, that's just wrong. i rarelydrink milk myself. Have it around for the random bwl of cereal or the like. My mom drinks a ton of it though. she's one of those kind of people who can drink it on its own as just a normal drink. i can't do that. tastes odd.

and even the milk i drink is 1% so as little actual "cow taste" as possible.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 04:06:51 PM

Ya, that's just wrong. i rarelydrink milk myself. Have it around for the random cowl of cereal or the link. My mom drinks a ton of it though. she's one of the kind of people who can drink it on its own as just a normal drink. i can't do that. tastes odd.

Might as well drink water if you are drinking 1%.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2011, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2011, 04:06:51 PM

Ya, that's just wrong. i rarelydrink milk myself. Have it around for the random cowl of cereal or the link. My mom drinks a ton of it though. she's one of the kind of people who can drink it on its own as just a normal drink. i can't do that. tastes odd.

Might as well drink water if you are drinking 1%.
I want my animal teet juice as diluted as possible :lol: