News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2011, 07:34:22 AM
Uhm, actually, raw materials are, if anything, at abundance for most great powers.
That's not the way it has worked out in any of the games I have played so far.  Both minerals and iron ore quickly rise in price to $7 or $8, and wine goes to $12 or $13.  Which is fine with me.  What is not so fine is that steel drops to $7 or $8.

As you note, though, these seem to be needed tweaks, as opposed to game-breaking items, and my examples are from early in the game.  What the game needs is someone to tell the developers about something called "the demand curve."  That would take care of the pricing issues.

The game does make you choose between developing resources so as to not need to rely on uncertain foreign supply, or developing factories to make the money.  Interesting decisions are always good.  Adam Smith would certainly disagree with the economic model, but it is fun and, with the addition of a screen telling you what the actual economic outcomes were in the previous turn and a trade screen that didn't require the player to click all over the map to engage in trade, would be even better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2011, 04:09:36 AM
"West Point closed due to a lack of resources".

:sleep:

Pacifism won.
Did you patch?  That hasn't happened to me since I patched.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2011, 04:09:36 AM
"West Point closed due to a lack of resources".

:sleep:

Pacifism won.

They should hold a bake sale. -_-
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Norgy

Since I bought the thing on Steam, I suppose I haven't patched. Should've gone for the Paradox Web Shop or Gamersgate.

Steam patches the applications itself, but the patch was beta until yesterday, right?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2011, 01:36:29 PM
Since I bought the thing on Steam, I suppose I haven't patched. Should've gone for the Paradox Web Shop or Gamersgate.

Steam patches the applications itself, but the patch was beta until yesterday, right?

To do the beta patch, you have to delete 4 folders them unzip the stuff into its folder. I don't have a link to the paradox forum right now. I don't have links to anything right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

:rolleyes:

afaik, you are better off making a separate copy of the game, then patching that, because Steam will eventually flip over the files not being Kosher, and would restore the official version.

Ed Anger

What the fuck is the roll eyes for, mongoloid?

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 18, 2011, 01:57:42 PM
:shrug:  He flipflops between being a major dick and a major help in this thread.

He probably is rolling his eyes because you were 'tard enough to do what the game developers told you to do.  If you had eaten enough beets (slaughtered with a knife more than 25.5 cm long, mind) you'd have known better.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Do turns still take 2 minutes or so complete?  I found AGEOD products to be fairly unfriendly to my computer.  The Civil War one worked okay (at least technically), but the WWI game worked like shit.  I didn't run at all until I adjusted some setting on Vista.  Even having installed on my hard-drive caused problems.  The computer would freeze up if the game was installed and User Account Control was active.  Even when I wasn't trying to activate it.  I still don't understand why that happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Turns take 25 seconds or so on my computer. It's no hassle at all.

That's not the issue for me. My issue with the game as of now is twofold; one, I feel I am constantly without a good overview and make decisions on vague information and some notion of "oooh, that sounds nice" (which is realistic, I suppose) and two, despite the familiarity, I find the GUI and navigation a bit clunky.

It's no major criticism, but the cause-effect relationship in this game is by no means very obvious. Mind you, I'm still learning, so maybe after 10-20 hours, I'll feel a bit more confident.

Ed Anger

Well, now instead of small Prussian armies setting up camp in Austria, now I've got this GINORMOUS stack with 600 cannons just scooting around. Even worse, Russians are leaking over the border. I've got a cossack problem in Austrian Poland.

Tamas

hold on a sec, were you actually serious with that bad-englished "delete 4 folders" stuff?

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2011, 03:06:43 PM
Turns take 25 seconds or so on my computer. It's no hassle at all.

That's not the issue for me. My issue with the game as of now is twofold; one, I feel I am constantly without a good overview and make decisions on vague information and some notion of "oooh, that sounds nice" (which is realistic, I suppose) and two, despite the familiarity, I find the GUI and navigation a bit clunky.

It's no major criticism, but the cause-effect relationship in this game is by no means very obvious. Mind you, I'm still learning, so maybe after 10-20 hours, I'll feel a bit more confident.

25 seconds? With full AI time? You are a God among men.

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 18, 2011, 03:31:52 PM
Well, now instead of small Prussian armies setting up camp in Austria, now I've got this GINORMOUS stack with 600 cannons just scooting around. Even worse, Russians are leaking over the border. I've got a cossack problem in Austrian Poland.

You should break your defensive alliance with one of them. Or with both if you want to be fair.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2011, 03:51:18 PM

hold on a sec, were you actually serious with that bad-englished "delete 4 folders" stuff?

Hey, that was the instruction over at paradox for the steam version. Delete 4 folders I can't remember the names of and unzip the patch into game folder.