Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

I think they're just on holiday.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2011, 02:39:57 AM
Are they in war with somebody?  :huh:

None that I can see. Only thing Prussia has been doing is forging Caucus Belli against its neighbors and doing a train tour on my territory.

I'm surprised the Russians haven't shown up since I have a defensive treaty with them too.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Party at Austria's house! Woooo! :cheers:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Kleves

Tried the demo; seems unnecessarily, obnoxiously complex.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

I am provisionally raising my rating from 'I don't know about this' to 'Not bad'.

Neil

I've never played these AGEOD games before, but I'm starting to get interested here.  Is this one a good one to start off with?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on June 12, 2011, 10:12:40 PM
I've never played these AGEOD games before, but I'm starting to get interested here.  Is this one a good one to start off with?

No, most of all because its very unique. Warfare model is the same but here warfare is not the main thing, unlike in all the other ones.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 05:41:31 PM
The whole idea of Prussia and the US being involved in a crisis over Samoa in 1850 is absurd, of course.  Not sure what anyone was thinking (if, indeed, they were thinking at all) when this was proposed.

The crisis of 1887-1889 involved conditions that simply could not apply in 1850.  Germany didn't even exist in 1850, and the idea that Americans would give a shit about the islands in 1850 is absurd.

That isn't the key issue for me, though.  The key issue is that the diplomatic options are so opaque that the player cannot make sensible decisions - let alone fun ones.

+1.
The crisis mechanic is terrific in theory but the implementation is very confusing and the manual does not help. (the manual generally has serious deficiencies)  Also crises arise over inappropriate things.  There should be a higher threshhold in terms of colonial penetration before one can be triggered.

The colonization mini-game also seems interesting in theory but with all the different options it isn't clear what I should be doing or which provinces I should be doing it in.  Maybe experience will make it more clear but it does seem that 30 different potential actions is a bit overkill.

Fun factor is higher than V2.  Stability OTOH is lower- had two CTDs already as opposed to zero for V2 despite all the other problems with it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 09:42:25 AM
  Stability OTOH is lower- had two CTDs already as opposed to zero for V2 despite all the other problems with it.
Don't alt-tab away from the game while it processes turns - there is a goood chance it won't come back.

Also, the game manuals and tutorials all say that the game automatically saves the last X turns (they disagree on how many) but this is not true on my installation (nor can i manually save in different slots, as the game will only save in the slot I chose at the start).  Did the developers abandon the automatic save feature or is it just not yet in place (if it isn't enabled in installs other than mine)?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Quote150,000 Prussians show up uninvited to the Balkan coast.

Tell me about it.

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Drakken

Will be tempted to buy it - when the 1.02 patch becomes available in eight months time, if AGEOD's current state of the beta patches for RoP (1.03) and AACW is a good indication.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2011, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 09:42:25 AM
  Stability OTOH is lower- had two CTDs already as opposed to zero for V2 despite all the other problems with it.
Don't alt-tab away from the game while it processes turns - there is a goood chance it won't come back.

Also, the game manuals and tutorials all say that the game automatically saves the last X turns (they disagree on how many) but this is not true on my installation (nor can i manually save in different slots, as the game will only save in the slot I chose at the start).  Did the developers abandon the automatic save feature or is it just not yet in place (if it isn't enabled in installs other than mine)?

The auto-save feature is in place. *your PoN directory*\VGN\Saves\yoursavegame. Inside that directory will be a crapload of previous saves of that game.

alt-tabbing works but in time will crash the game indeed. Like, after an hour

szmik

Quote from: Neil on June 12, 2011, 10:12:40 PM
I think it's much more complex than any previous game, which were basically all about warfare. But imho it's superior to Victoria 2 and it works more or less as intended right after release, with minor quirks.
I didn't try naval warfare yet.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

crazy canuck

Wait to get this after the patch?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Warspite on June 13, 2011, 12:58:52 PM
Quote150,000 Prussians show up uninvited to the Balkan coast.

Tell me about it.

ewww. So pale.