News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So people, if you checked the Paradox boards, you know I am in a recently started AARed beta MP game of this.

Now, altough "MP" means PBEM here, and we all know what a bunch of unreliable quitters you are, I still wanted to advertise here that I think the MP is great, because not only there is a military system identical to the other AGEOD games (altough I haven't tried to form a US division larger than 3 army groups, ala PDH), but also a global commerce and economy system which puts Victoria 2's to shame. You can try to corner it, compete via number of merchant fleets in a given trade zone etc.

So, I want to PBEM this with the unwashed masses once it is out. What we are doing for the beta game, is to have this nifty little tool Dropbox, which gives you a shared folder you all access. So the host generates the turn file, copies it over, then eafch player copies over their turn file when done, the host then takes those files, resolve the turn, and repeat the process.

Yes, it is more cumbersome than TCP/IP, but the only real work is for the host.

So you guys should buy it 10 days from now (its $20 FFS), get some practice, and then we start.

sbr

I am likely to get it close to release and might be willing to get my ass kicked in a PBEM sometime though I am a bit worried about the length of the game (the campaign is ~1700 turns long) and how quickly turns would be expected to be turned around.

The manual is available for download on the AGEOD forums now

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21294

sbr

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM
(altough I haven't tried to form a US division larger than 3 army groups, ala PDH),

What exactly was the exploit PDH used in the ACW game?  It sounds like they fixed it because you can only have 17 elements in one division, but i have never heard the full story.

PDH

He is mad because I made full sized (in terms of elements) in divisions, and those into full sized (30-40k men) corps in 1862.  I essentially used Burnside's Grand Divisions to steamroll Tamas, and he was mad that I could concentrate forces.

Everyone knows that if the North hadn't had its head in its ass the war could have been over in 1862.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Well regarding turnaround times, yes, its a major issue on the insane scale of the grand campaign.

So in our future PBEM game, anyone who is not ready to upload AT LEAST one turn a day, should stay away.

szmik

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2011, 07:45:22 AM
So in our future PBEM game, anyone who is not ready to upload AT LEAST one turn a day, should stay away.

that excludes you  :P
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Habbaku

Tamas can't even be bothered to type "Pass." in a 24-hour period.  No way in hell will he be capable of a quick turnaround on a game like this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on May 27, 2011, 10:35:18 AM
Tamas can't even be bothered to type "Pass." in a 24-hour period.  No way in hell will he be capable of a quick turnaround on a game like this.

Right. That happened: once. And I was still an order of magnitude faster than your off-forum buddies, even when that happened :P

The only one who can cry about this with any kind of authenticity is Berkut, because thats his shtick

Tamas

Anyways, here is a preview:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/pride-of-nations-pc-game-preview.htm

Also the outofeight guy has been commenting and semi-AARing the game over at the wargamers.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2011, 10:54:31 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 27, 2011, 10:35:18 AM

Right. That happened: once. And I was still an order of magnitude faster than your off-forum buddies, even when that happened :P

The only one who can cry about this with any kind of authenticity is Berkut, because thats his shtick

You're kidding, right?

Check out journal entries 1077 (England, 2011-05-23 11:14AM) and 1078 (France, "pass", 2011-05-24 01:49PM) here:
http://acts.warhorsesim.com/dynamic/journal.asp?id=41521

Also 1042 and 1043 (another 25 hour delay), 956 and 957 (24 hours for a truly unimpressive winter), and 890 and 891 (23 hours to say "I PASS.  One Round.").

Tamas

:rolleyes:

BACK TO TOPIC:

the demo is out!

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2011, 11:01:59 AM
Anyways, here is a preview:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/pride-of-nations-pc-game-preview.htm

Did you write that?

QuoteKeeping the populace happy at home and overseas happy is imperative. Seven factors make the contest of a population with each factor creating opportunities and friction. The relatively small populations early in the game makes cooptation simple but populations grow, increasing problems with social classes, religion, and ethnicity. Problems can cause production increase, riots, and revolts. These problems give rise to militancy and ugly crowds in the streets.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

QuoteKeeping the domestic market full not only helps mange populaces

:hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Yes, I write on armchairgeneral.com when I have a bit of free time between stealing and tending to my beet farm. And I do it instead of ACTS turns.

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2011, 01:08:43 PM
Yes, I write on armchairgeneral.com when I have a bit of free time between stealing and tending to my beet farm. And I do it instead of ACTS turns.

:lol: