Looks like it is time for a new smartphone...

Started by Berkut, May 26, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

My Droid is getting all squirrely on me. Stupid thing is just randomly activating the screen all the time.

So, I am looking for a new one - hopefully I can convince Verizon to let me upgrade early.

Anyway, criteria:

• Price. I would like to not have to spend $200 on a new phone. I might have to, considering what I want, but if I can get away with spending less, that would be ideal.
  • Screen. I want one of those big ass screens. Like the 4.3 inch ones that seem kind of common on the current Driod flavors.
  • Battery life. My Droid now seems to need to be charged constantly. Would like to not have that with a new phone.
  • I do want a pretty modern phone, with the current generation of hardware and features.
Options

• iPhone 4. Its an iPhone, right? However, it is expensive, and is it really better than the high end droids that run around the same price? Not really sure.
  • Thunderbolt. Sure looks purty. Expensive though...
  • Motorola Atrix. Big screen, saw a glowing spooge review. Don't know much else.
Anyone else know much about this market? I am kind of a "learn about it when I need a phone, then promptly forget because there is no way I am buying another phone until I have to..." kind of person.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Because I like doing the things that a smartphone lets me do.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
Because I like doing the things that a smartphone lets me do.

Which are?

I'm a canuck & since I don't enjoy getting ass raped monthly by big cellphone companies, I don't have a Smartphone, I do not know nor understand the appeal of those thing.

I have internet at home, I have it at work. Do I really need it in the inbetween?

Berkut

You know, I don't really want my thread to be a debate about the merits of smartphones in general. I am ok if you don't want one.

The Motorola Atrix is out of the running. Looks awesome, but is ATT only.

0 rows returned

DGuller

My Droid is likewise starting to really show its age, plus some of its basic shortcomings are starting to grate on me.  I too have problem with charing it; I used to go a whole week between charges, if I used the phone moderately.  Now I need to charge it every day, and twice a day if I'm in an area with poor reception.

I too am curious about what my options will be once it's time to upgrade.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2011, 09:22:29 AM
You know, I don't really want my thread to be a debate about the merits of smartphones in general. I am ok if you don't want one.

The Motorola Atrix is out of the running. Looks awesome, but is ATT only.

Alright. Get dumbphone & save!

or alternatively the New Google Nexus?

DGuller

I'm a luddite when it comes to phones, but even I find smartphone to be very useful.  You don't realize how often it's helpful to have e-mail or Internet on the go until you have it.

Lucidor

The Samsung Galaxy S II gets very favourable reviews and looks like the best one on paper. After you go AMOLED, you don't want to go back.

derspiess

Limiting it to Verizon phones here...

If price weren't a consideration, I'd recommend the Samsung Droid Charge.  Has all the bells & whistles and includes a 32gb micro sdhc card, but is $299 *with contract*.

I'd also recommend the HTC Thunderbolt, which is similar to my beloved EVO 4G.  But that is $249.

If $200 is your limit, go with the Droid X2 or Droid Incredible 2.  Or be a traitor & get a 16GB iPhone :P

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Are there any good smartphones without touch screens?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 27, 2011, 11:45:53 AM
Are there any good smartphones without touch screens?
How is that even possible?  You can't have a mouse on your smartphone, and the cursor is an extremely annoying tool to use to select anything.

Berkut

Well, it looks like I am pretty stuck with something that is going to cost $200. Since that is the case, I am actually thinking about the iPhone.

Although now that I've seen things like the Droid x2, the iPhone seems kind of...small.

0 rows returned

Barrister

GF, I am coming around to the smartphone set.  I haven't had any mobile phone for 5 years, but was given the latest Blackberry at the new job.  I have been texting, emailing, and even web surfing far more than I ever thought I would.  And I imagine a smartphone that is actually good would be even better.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Ended up getting the Driod X2. Almost got talked out of it by the sales rep, who wanted to sell me a 4G phone.

0 rows returned