Looks like it is time for a new smartphone...

Started by Berkut, May 26, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2011, 09:19:31 PM
Ok, this Atrix is pretty badass.  Tell me some cool shit I can do with it PLZ.  The Latitude app is like a billion times better than the one I have on my Blackberry.

Cool, so now you have a bigger screen to track me on my exciting daily life of being in downtown Cincy, I-275, or home :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 14, 2011, 09:19:31 PM
Ok, this Atrix is pretty badass.  Tell me some cool shit I can do with it PLZ.  The Latitude app is like a billion times better than the one I have on my Blackberry.

Cool, so now you have a bigger screen to track me on my exciting daily life of being in downtown Cincy, I-275, or home :)

I'd have a lot of sympathy if you hadn't just spent last weekend travelling with an NFL team. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

My first impressions:  4G LTE is shit.  The shit, that is.  I get 9 mpbs down speed and 3 mbps up speed.  That's not too far off my cable modem speed.  The phone itself feels very light, almost too light.  It has the size and weight of a thin power bar. 

Battery life is a little suspect, though:  without me doing much of anything, the new battery barely lasts a day.  Given the rate of deterioration of the phone batteries, that spells trouble in about a year's time.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
I will become more interesting to stalk in the near future, when you will begin to find me in such places as Denver, Charlotte, Phoenix, and various points in LA metro (Santa Barbara, Newport Beach, Burbank).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

One thing: I've got my phone set up to pick up my home wifi, and there's a corporate one at work (not my company, the one upstairs) that I appear to be able to leach off.  Yet, my phone still seems to want to pull data from the 4G network even though it says it's connected to the other wifi networks. :hmm:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2011, 01:14:34 PM
I'd have a lot of sympathy if you hadn't just spent last weekend travelling with an NFL team. :mad:

...in Cleveland.  Now Denver this weekend will be fun.  I see it as my reward for enduring Cleveland.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 01:17:07 PM
My first impressions:  4G LTE is shit.  The shit, that is.  I get 9 mpbs down speed and 3 mbps up speed.  That's not too far off my cable modem speed.  The phone itself feels very light, almost too light.  It has the size and weight of a thin power bar. 

When Sprint first unveiled their WiMax 4G in Cincy I was getting over 10 down in some cases.  Seems like I'm rarely able to even get 8.  That's not a big deal in & of itself, but for some reason my 4G signal seems to be weaker recently.  I used to get a reliable 4G signal at my house, and now I have to stand next to a window upstairs to get any 4G signal.

I have a feeling Sprint is going to abandon WiMax altogether for 4G & do LTE like everyone else.  They abruptly stopped the WiMax rollout a few months ago, and have been making noises about testing & implementing LTE.

QuoteBattery life is a little suspect, though:  without me doing much of anything, the new battery barely lasts a day. 

That's pretty much a fact of life with a current-generation smartphone.  There are probably some tweaks you can make to save battery life (most of which I hate because they make the phone less useful to me).  Otherwise, just get in the habit of keeping it plugged in when at work, in the car, etc.  Or buy some extra batteries to swap in when needed.

QuoteGiven the rate of deterioration of the phone batteries, that spells trouble in about a year's time.

I have to say, my Evo's original battery does not seem to have degraded much in the year I've used it.  It may help a bit that I rotate a couple generic batteries in (a necessity since I tend to use my phone pretty heavily).

If you happen to want to replace the battery or keep a backup or two, do not buy from your carrier or any brick & mortar retailer-- they will rape you on the price.  I bought 2 generic batteries plus a wall battery charger for my Evo for $12 shipped on ebay.  Radio Shack sells the exact same battery (and just one of them) for about 50 bucks.

YMMV, but the two generic 1500mAH batteries work just as well as my OEM one that came with the phone.

DGuller

Yeah, buying phone accessories from your phone company is like buying an HDMI cable from the same place that sells TVs.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2011, 02:26:08 PM
Yeah, buying phone accessories from your phone company is like buying an HDMI cable from the same place that sells TVs.

Amazes me though when people who ought to know better go & do just that.

DGuller

I really like the improved alarm app on my new phone (not sure if you can get it separately on your own).  The old alarm was so so easy to accidentally turn off in a sleepy haze.  The new alarm app requires that you truly be awake and coordinated to shut it off.

Darth Wagtaros

Damn.  My droid is dying and they won't let me have an early upgrade.  So.. what will be hot, great, and not expensive in December?
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 23, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
Damn.  My droid is dying and they won't let me have an early upgrade.  So.. what will be hot, great, and not expensive in December?

iPhone 5. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Zoupa