Looks like it is time for a new smartphone...

Started by Berkut, May 26, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2011, 11:30:04 PM
Ended up getting the Driod X2. Almost got talked out of it by the sales rep, who wanted to sell me a 4G phone.
Please post your impressions of it once you use it for a while.

Valdemar

I recently got An Iphone 4 from work, and IF you are actually using the phone part of it, then don't go that route.

I've tried all sorts of phones over time, and this is absolutely the worst phone from a pure phone functionality point of view. Even the most basic phone functions are limted or none existent compared to my regular private SonyEricsson.

V

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 27, 2011, 11:45:53 AM
Are there any good smartphones without touch screens?

I think they still have touchscreens, but you can pretty much ignore it on some Blackberry smartphones if you're so inclined.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2011, 11:30:04 PM
Ended up getting the Driod X2. Almost got talked out of it by the sales rep, who wanted to sell me a 4G phone.

:punk:

Dual core 1ghz processors = ossum.  How is the battery life so far?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Very good - it hasn't dropped below 50% with daily use.

So far I very much like the phone. The screen is excellent, the UI is so much better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Got a Motorola Atrix.  Suck it, iPhone whores.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on June 28, 2011, 01:06:38 PM

You boys and your dual-core phones.  My Evo is a solid phone, but I've got more than a year until my next upgrade :(

Did you get that laptop dock thingie with it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2011, 03:53:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 28, 2011, 01:06:38 PM
You boys and your dual-core phones.  My Evo is a solid phone, but I've got more than a year until my next upgrade :(

Did you get that laptop dock thingie with it?
No, I didn't.  I already have a laptop that's superior to the phone, so it didn't make sense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valdemar

Tell me something about Blackberry

Seems I'll be getting one with the new job, but here in small denmark they are virtually unknown and I have no ideas of their capabilities, pros and cons.

Apperently its a 9780??

V

DontSayBanana

That's a Blackberry Bold.  Blackberry makes a halfway decent PDA and is okay for browsing HTML websites and keeping your email with you.  Biggest weakness is that RIM's OS make it worse than iPhone in terms of web compatibility.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2011, 09:08:50 PM
No, I didn't.  I already have a laptop that's superior to the phone, so it didn't make sense.

I thought it was pretty cool but yeah, it's gimmicky & kind of pointless if you have a laptop running a "full" OS.  Plus, who knows-- in a few months you might be able to get one for about the same price as a standard charging dock. 

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:37:44 AM

I thought it was pretty cool but yeah, it's gimmicky & kind of pointless if you have a laptop running a "full" OS.  Plus, who knows-- in a few months you might be able to get one for about the same price as a standard charging dock.
Yeah.  That said, it's pretty time-consuming posting from a touch-screen.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on July 01, 2011, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2011, 09:37:44 AM

Yeah.  That said, it's pretty time-consuming posting from a touch-screen.

No shit.  If I'm making a simple post it's not the end of the world, but for any post involving splitting quotes, posting pics, etc. it's more cumbersome than it is worth doing.  Which is I guess why some forums are using specialized apps now both browsing and posting from mobile devices.

Liep

Just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S II through work. I liked the last Samsung phone I had, an e250. That was a bit cheaper though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The dolphin browser's hand gestures actually work quite well. Also, swype is fun!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk