And we're back!

Main Menu

Grunge: Emo-in-Flannel?

Started by Martinus, April 17, 2009, 04:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2009, 05:27:13 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 17, 2009, 05:25:26 AM
Fuck you, you shitlicking analrobbing assbandit. If I could, I would skullfuck you with a rusty, serrated iron reinforcement bar.

Given that I cannot, it shall have to suffice to wish a horrible death on you and yours, and a rapid end to all your wordly relationships except the ones that are causing you physical or mental anguish.
Yeah, lyrics like that.

Granma plz!  :P

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

People have been somewhat upset long before emo.

Goth FTW.

I can't be arsed to properly explain the musical differences but:
Goth- Driving rhythem section, somber
Grunge- Distortion guitars, anger, low-fi
Emo- Power chords, teenage bitching, over produced
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2009, 04:34:05 AM
A lot of people on this board seem to enjoy grunge, but hate emo music. Is this only because they are old? Because the music is pretty much the same, only grunge musicians wore more flannel and less eyeliner.
I would say that most music directed at teenagers and twentysomethings has been rather whiny, ever since Gen-X started coming up.  Sure, they might be totally different from a technical, musical standpoint.  However, from a content standpoint, huge swathes of music add up to 'Nobody understands me, so I'm going to cut myself/react violently/put a shotgun in my mouth'.  Emo is just the purest of the breed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2009, 07:16:08 AM
A lot of people on this board seem to enjoy grunge, but hate emo music. Is this only because they are old? Because the music is pretty much the same, only grunge musicians wore more flannel and less eyeliner.
I would say that most music directed at teenagers and twentysomethings has been rather whiny, ever since Gen-X started coming up.  Sure, they might be totally different from a technical, musical standpoint.  However, from a content standpoint, huge swathes of music add up to 'Nobody understands me, so I'm going to cut myself/react violently/put a shotgun in my mouth'.  Emo is just the purest of the breed.

I read somewhere that 95% of great music deals with either
1: Love
2: Depression.
Weird that emo sucks then.....
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2009, 07:19:09 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 17, 2009, 07:16:08 AM

I read somewhere that 95% of great music deals with either
1: Love
2: Depression.
Weird that emo sucks then.....
99.9% of pop music has dealt with love, requited or otherwise.

The reason that emo sucks is probably the reason that most forms of metal suck:  Too much screaming, too self-indulgent and the musicians and fans are freaks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Just listened to Pearl Jam's "Alive" on my way home in the car. The end section (when the singer shuts up) on near-max volume while going as fast on a country road as it permits it, is what rock is about.  :cool:

To compare this to emo is just.... wrong.

Savonarola

As an aside; punk had its origins in garage bands from the mid to late 60s.  Lenny Kaye (rock historian and Patti Smith's guitartist) put together a collection of this music in the 70s called Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era that allegedly was a favorite among the punk rockers in the 70s.  The original double album has since been expanded into a box set of 3 chords and no talent.  I strongly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuggets-Original-Artyfacts-Psychedelic-1965-1968/dp/B00000AFWZ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239972394&sr=8-1
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Pedrito

Quote from: Savonarola on April 17, 2009, 07:50:02 AM
As an aside; punk had its origins in garage bands from the mid to late 60s.  Lenny Kaye (rock historian and Patti Smith's guitartist) put together a collection of this music in the 70s called Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era that allegedly was a favorite among the punk rockers in the 70s.  The original double album has since been expanded into a box set of 3 chords and no talent.  I strongly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuggets-Original-Artyfacts-Psychedelic-1965-1968/dp/B00000AFWZ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239972394&sr=8-1

Duly noted and added to the Amazon wishlist. Thank you  :hug:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2009, 04:51:10 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2009, 04:44:37 AM
Anyway, to speak more seriously, isn't the punk -> grunge -> emo the way this music genre evolved?

Not really Punk->hardcore+Pop Punk->Emo
Punk->hardcore+Metal->Grunge
Yeah.

What pisses me off most about Emo is that it by association taints Bad Brains, Fugazi/Minor Threat and The Misfits. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Grunge is crap. GOD DAMN SEATTLE
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps