And we're back!

Main Menu

Grunge: Emo-in-Flannel?

Started by Martinus, April 17, 2009, 04:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
Yeah.

What pisses me off most about Emo is that it by association taints Bad Brains, Fugazi/Minor Threat and The Misfits.

WTF are you talking about?
and the horse you rode in on

Queequeg

Quote from: fahdiz on April 17, 2009, 12:16:03 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
Yeah.

What pisses me off most about Emo is that it by association taints Bad Brains, Fugazi/Minor Threat and The Misfits.

WTF are you talking about?
A part of me hears Emo when I listen to Hardcore and especially Post-Hardcore these days.

It is awful but I can't help it.  Not even 13 Songs is safe anymore.   :(
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2009, 12:17:15 PM
A part of me hears Emo when I listen to Hardcore and especially Post-Hardcore these days.

That's your problem, not the bands' problem. :P
and the horse you rode in on

DontSayBanana

I'm not sure about emo's place in the musical evolution; it's most closely related to punk, but it seems to be a major stripping down of it; taking away overarching themes like anti-establishment, and replacing them with harlequin crap like unrequited love, sexual comedies... it wouldn't be hard to imagine an emo song about moshing.

Grunge: Tamas is gonna have a conniption fit about this, but Cobain was absolutely an emo, Eddie Vedder skirted the line. The band's since grown up, but c'mon... "Jeremy?" The whole debacle about MTV refusing to air the video, and Pearl Jam's response? Pearl Jam teetered on the edge of emo for a bit before going with more mellow lyrics that I think tie more closely into slacker rock.
Experience bij!

Queequeg

Quote from: fahdiz on April 17, 2009, 12:19:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2009, 12:17:15 PM

That's your problem, not the bands' problem. :P
Couldn't agree more. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2009, 04:34:05 AM
A lot of people on this board seem to enjoy grunge, but hate emo music. Is this only because they are old? Because the music is pretty much the same, only grunge musicians wore more flannel and less eyeliner.

Discuss. -_-

are you retarded? ummm no relation. Grunge is simply a bunch of  punks who dress like Canadians. :contract: Emo is the unholy abortion satan childe of goth and actual music. only gen Why Me can endure it. (so yes age is a factor.)
:p

Tamas

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 17, 2009, 12:25:02 PM

Grunge: Tamas is gonna have a conniption fit about this, but Cobain was absolutely an emo, Eddie Vedder skirted the line. The band's since grown up, but c'mon... "Jeremy?" The whole debacle about MTV refusing to air the video, and Pearl Jam's response? Pearl Jam teetered on the edge of emo for a bit before going with more mellow lyrics that I think tie more closely into slacker rock.

Yes, Cobain was a total emo, I did say it so in this very thread. I quite hate the guy. And I am not an insane Pearl Jam fan, I just generally like their music, with a couple of noted masterpiece among it.

Brazen

Paint It Black by the Stones. First ever Emo track?

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2009, 05:04:46 AM
Paint It Black by the Stones. First ever Emo track?

Wouldn't a lot of Blues/Country be emo?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2009, 05:32:36 AM

Wouldn't a lot of Blues/Country be emo?

Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil; he was totally goth.  :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I'm confused. Did he destroy Rome or preserve it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2009, 06:58:04 AM
I'm confused. Did he destroy Rome or preserve it?

There's not a consensus among experts in the field.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Emo? I'll show you emo.  I'll cut your face.

I don't ever recall any movie quotes like "You know how I know you're gay? You listen to Alice In Chains."

My Chemical Romance and Coldplay = Emo
Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Afghan Whigs, Beat Happening = Not Emo

Go die, Martinus, before I find you and slash you to pieces with your Barbara Streisand CDs, you filthy ass cocknibbler faggot fuckstick.

Norgy

Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2009, 04:42:04 AM

You're a fucking moron, and have no idea about music so take your retarded ideas and listen to ABBA douchebag.

I agree with my esteemed Alaskan aged-to-perfection grungee and the angry man above me's post.

Emo music is retardedness branded and boxed and marketed; grunge was, like, pure and unsoiled, man!  :mad: