News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:43:02 AM
What is the one called when you claim you are sociopathic because it will make you look special? :P
Desire to be 'special' is narcissism IIRC. :)

I thought it's more histrionic (aka attention-whorism). :P

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:48:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2011, 09:45:46 AM
Off the top of my head, I recall a figure of 1%.
So that means there are about 3 million sociopaths in the United States, right?  That doesn't seem all that rare to me, but I guess 'rare' is a relative term.
Well, duh, in a country of 300 million, even a tiny percentage translates to a shitload of people (or at least a crapload).  Your odds of enountering sociopaths don't materially change whether there are 300 million or 30 million people in US, though.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:37:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:35:40 AM
Well, I'm an egotist. I didn't say I have the sociopathic personality disorder, but I can recognize certain tendencies, like thinking my desires and needs are more important than other people's, or having bouts of rage when I don't get my way.

I try to keep that in check, but when I'm under significant stress and/or tired, I have a greater difficulty keeping this under control.
To me that sounds more like classic narcissism.  A sociopath is someone who has no ability to empathize with and care for others,
Still, maybe they should institutionalize him, just to be sure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2011, 09:54:33 AM
Well, duh, in a country of 300 million, even a tiny percentage translates to a shitload of people (or at least a crapload).  Your odds of enountering sociopaths don't materially change whether there are 300 million or 30 million people in US, though.
I still think it's a lot more people that most folks realize, but also the media makes it seem like sociopaths are always murderers.  I have to assume there aren't millions of active serial killers out there right now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:48:47 AM
I thought it's more histrionic (aka attention-whorism). :P
I don't think histrionic people necessarily have a 'me-complex' about themselves like narcissists do.  In fact IIRC histrionics often have low self-esteem.  The "I'm a special person who is better than everyone else and how dare people not acknowledge or recognize it!!!" attitude is classic narcissism.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:38:12 AM
I think people are confusing depression with just being in a bad mood. As far as I am aware, depression is an overwhelming feeling of apathy, when a person does not as much want to get up from bed even if things need to be done.

Thanks for that. :rolleyes:  But yes, that's exactly what I suffered from. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

If Marty was a sociopath it would explain why he lies about being a lawyer. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 10:31:57 AM
I would think that it would actually confirm that he is in fact a lawyer.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2011, 10:36:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 10:31:57 AM
I would think that it would actually confirm that he is in fact a lawyer.

Nah, Sociopaths have a hard time focusing on long term goals.  They tend toward menial labor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

Never diagnosed, but it could've been at some point in my life.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 10:50:21 AM
Nah, Sociopaths have a hard time focusing on long term goals.  They tend toward menial labor.
I don't think that's true.  Sociopaths are unusually common in positions of power.

Caliga

I think Raz is confusing a sociopath with a psychopath.  Psychopaths are the ones who have very little self-control and often explode with rage.  Sociopaths OTOH have an unusual amount of self-control.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 11:05:10 AM
I think Raz is confusing a sociopath with a psychopath.  Psychopaths are the ones who have very little self-control and often explode with rage.  Sociopaths OTOH have an unusual amount of self-control.

That's not me then. I tend to explode with rage. But I read about sociopaths and psychopaths, and indeed it is not me - I have been a very diligent and valued student (almost too much), have been with the same job for the last 11 years, and generally do not shirk duties and the like.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 11:05:10 AM

Does the DSM make a distinction?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

My results at http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv

Paranoid:  Moderate
Schizoid:  Low
Schizotypal:  Low
Antisocial:  Moderate
Borderline:  Low
Histrionic:  High
Narcissistic:  High
Avoidant:  Low
Dependent:  Low
Obsessive-Compulsive:  Low