News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Caliga

@garbo Well, it's as ok as being a depressive is, in that it's not the fault of the sociopath... but I guess it doesn't mean they don't need treatment. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Yeah from about 19 to 21 or so.

I basically learned as long as I do things I am ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 09:32:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:23:52 AM
This. I think I'm (moderately) sociopathic.

:huh:
Well, I'm an egotist. I didn't say I have the sociopathic personality disorder, but I can recognize certain tendencies, like thinking my desires and needs are more important than other people's, or having bouts of rage when I don't get my way.

I try to keep that in check, but when I'm under significant stress and/or tired, I have a greater difficulty keeping this under control.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
Yeah from about 19 to 21 or so.

I basically learned as long as I do things I am ok.
So boredom = depression (at least in your case)?  That makes sense.  People that spend too much time in idle thought are more likely to think bad things.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:35:40 AM
Well, I'm an egotist. I didn't say I have the sociopathic personality disorder, but I can recognize certain tendencies, like thinking my desires and needs are more important than other people's, or having bouts of rage when I don't get my way.

I try to keep that in check, but when I'm under significant stress and/or tired, I have a greater difficulty keeping this under control.
To me that sounds more like classic narcissism.  A sociopath is someone who has no ability to empathize with and care for others,

Martinus

I think people are confusing depression with just being in a bad mood. As far as I am aware, depression is an overwhelming feeling of apathy, when a person does not as much want to get up from bed even if things need to be done.

Teenage angst/boredom/laziness is usually *not* depression. It's just being a teenager (with a hormonal imbalance to boot).  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:36:07 AM
So boredom = depression (at least in your case)?  That makes sense.  People that spend too much time in idle thought are more likely to think bad things.

Loneliness to.  I hate living alone because of the tendency for me to get depressed.

So basically yes, I need stuff going on and people to interact with.  Otherwise I get alone with my thoughts and start to go to really dark places.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:24:49 AM
That's ok.  I think lots of people are, actually.  Not all sociopaths are serial killers.
No, it's not.  :huh:  And, no, they're not.  :huh:  Sociopathy is lack of empathy, and it is pretty rare.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:38:12 AM
I think people are confusing depression with just being in a bad mood. As far as I am aware, depression is an overwhelming feeling of apathy, when a person does not as much want to get up from bed even if things need to be done.

Teenage angst/boredom/laziness is usually *not* depression. It's just being a teenager (with a hormonal imbalance to boot).  :rolleyes:

Believe me things needed to be done.  I all but failed out of school and probably set my career back many years.  I just couldn't seem to work or do anything or get out of bed.

Having work or that sort of stuff to do is not really what I am talking about.  I need activities and social interaction.  But it might not have been clinical depression, just my experience of depression-like feelings in my life.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:37:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:35:40 AM

To me that sounds more like classic narcissism.  A sociopath is someone who has no ability to empathize with and care for others,

I guess it's a matter of degree and the boundaries are often blurry. I do know that if I have some personality disorder/deficiency (do not necessarily mean "disorder" in a clinical sense), it's one of those tending towards egotism and treating others as my lessers/tools/playthings (narcissism, sociopathy, histrionic), than one when I turn against myself and consider myself inadequate/depressed/apathetic.

I'm definitely a choleric (and almost exactly like my father in that). I blame my mother, who apparently always keep saying (when pregnant with me) that she would rather her son gets mad than sad. :P

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2011, 09:40:19 AM
No, it's not.  :huh:  And, no, they're not.  :huh:  Sociopathy is lack of empathy, and it is pretty rare.
I said "I think", but you responded as if you know for sure sociopathy is rare.  How do you know this?  Maybe there's some definitive study on the subject that I'm not aware of. :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:24:49 AM
That's ok.  I think lots of people are, actually.  Not all sociopaths are serial killers.

What is the one called when you claim you are sociopathic because it will make you look special? :P

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:42:39 AM
I said "I think", but you responded as if you know for sure sociopathy is rare.  How do you know this?  Maybe there's some definitive study on the subject that I'm not aware of. :hmm:
Off the top of my head, I recall a figure of 1%.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 09:43:02 AM
What is the one called when you claim you are sociopathic because it will make you look special? :P
Desire to be 'special' is narcissism IIRC. :)

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2011, 09:45:46 AM
Off the top of my head, I recall a figure of 1%.
So that means there are about 3 million sociopaths in the United States, right?  That doesn't seem all that rare to me, but I guess 'rare' is a relative term.