Unions: good for workers or bad for business?

Started by DontSayBanana, April 16, 2009, 11:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pro-union or anti-union?

For
29 (50.9%)
Against
28 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

grumbler

Quote from: Strix on April 22, 2009, 10:24:52 AM
On a more serious note, I would like to thank Berkut and grumbler for making it like old times. I missed when they were reduced to personal attacks/insults (Berkut) and trying to change the argument so that it fits their point (grumbler) when a thread wasn't going their way.

Missed you guys!  :hug:
And I missed your inevitable personal attacks (like your post cited above) when you ran out of factual counter-arguments.  If you cannot argue the argument, maybe you can argue the opponent's character!  :lol:

My argument in this thread was purely that Patterson should, and could, reduce salary expenditures by reducing employee numbers, if the unions would not support reductions in per-employee expenditures.  Now that you have conceded that he can do this, the fact that you do not comprehend how NY could be an "at will employment" state and still have labor contracts is irrelevant, and we have no others issues in contention.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2009, 12:04:51 PM
Question: what exactly does a parole officer do?  I really have no idea.  :blush:

He knocks on doors from 9pm to 12pm, apparently.
Yep.  $77,000 for three hours a day is pretty good wages.  Works out to about $100 an hour.  Almost a plumber's wages!  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2009, 12:14:14 PM
Yep.  $77,000 for three hours a day is pretty good wages.  Works out to about $100 an hour.  Almost a plumber's wages!  :)

Sometimes I wish I had taken my uncle up on his offer when I was in university and joined his plumbing company.  Probably would have made more money with less stress.

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2009, 12:04:51 PM
Question: what exactly does a parole officer do?  I really have no idea.  :blush:

He knocks on doors from 9pm to 12pm, apparently.

9pm to 12pm is a 15-hour night-shift stretch...

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on April 22, 2009, 12:19:26 PM
I hope he knocks on more than one door during a shift.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on April 22, 2009, 12:19:26 PM

The US government style manual http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_style_manual&docid=chapter_txt-9 disagrees.  But we should let Strix tell us whether he meant that he worked a three hour day or a fifteen-hour day (though, in the latter case, an annualized average of only 27 felons apprehended per four thousand hours of work is pretty freakin' inefficient).

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on April 22, 2009, 12:59:48 PM
Nah, they changed it in the version after the one grumbler cited.

It is interesting to me that it was ever that way. No wonder am vs. pm can be confusing. Even our government can't decide what it wants.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 12:00:00 PM
Hey Strix, how many of the felons you have arrested this year are on parole for violent offenses?

I have arrested two murders, several for CPW (criminal possesion of a weapon), a couple rapists, and a few on for robbery. The others were assorted burglary, CSCS/CPCS (sale/possession of drugs), and larceny.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

grumbler, you conceded my point about "at will" so I am not sure what you're attempting to argue now other than your usual trying to change the argument to fit the point you were making stuff.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 01:24:47 PM
So people get parole for murder and rape?

Yep.  In Georgia, until very recently, the "life without parole" sentence was only available for a murder where the death penalty was sought (but, obviously, not granted).

Even if life without parole is an option, it's not always going to be the sentence.

DGuller

Anyway, I see no point in belittling what Strix does.  Obviously he does an important job.  However, it doesn't mean that he doesn't get overpaid for it.