And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on July 27, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 09:59:47 AM
I eagerly await your tears when President Bachman forgets all about the deficit.

Nobody can forget about the deficit any longer.  We've passed the point where it conveniently can be ignored.
Deficits don't matter. Didn't Reagan prove that?

Fate

Quote from: Scipio on July 27, 2011, 06:19:59 PM

You seem to have missed the part where Obama had a majority in each house of the legislative branch through the first two years of his term, and instead of passing budgets, he passed a broken healthcare plan...

He passed a budget for fiscal years 2010 and 2011.  :huh:

Grallon

Will there be - or is there already - a backlash against the Republicans for their blatant self-serving short-sighted obstructionism?  Or are Americans so jaded by their shenanigans they don't care anymore?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on July 27, 2011, 07:17:46 PM

Unless the fiscal year is weirder than I thought, he didn't pass one for 2011.  That's why we were able to enjoy the theater of the four threatened government shutdowns this spring.

Neil

Quote from: Scipio on July 27, 2011, 06:19:59 PM

You seem to have missed the part where Obama had a majority in each house of the legislative branch through the first two years of his term, and instead of passing budgets, he passed a broken healthcare plan...
He forgot to pass the tax increases.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 07:24:52 PM

Unless the fiscal year is weirder than I thought, he didn't pass one for 2011.  That's why we were able to enjoy the theater of the four threatened government shutdowns this spring.

Did we pass one in 2010?  Some of the Goptards were on Pdox were raving about how there was no budget passed last year or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 07:24:52 PM

He did pass one. That's why the government didn't shut down.

Neil

If he passed a budget, then he alone bears responsibility for the current crisis.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 07:43:59 PM
If he passed a budget, then he alone bears responsibility for the current crisis.
Under what principle does the Congress bear no responsibility? The Constitution requires that all spending bills must originate from the House, not the President. I agree that he shares responsibility.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on July 27, 2011, 07:35:59 PM
He did pass one. That's why the government didn't shut down.

:lol:  OK, he passed a budget in April, halfway through the budget year.

Neil

Quote from: Fate on July 27, 2011, 07:48:19 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 07:43:59 PM
Under what principle does the Congress bear no responsibility? The Constitution requires that all spending bills must originate from the House, not the President. I agree that he shares responsibility.
He's leader of his party, and his personal popularity had a lot to do with their domination of the legislature.

KRonn

Quote from: Fate on July 27, 2011, 07:11:16 PM
I eagerly await your tears when President Bachman forgets all about the deficit.

Nobody can forget about the deficit any longer.  We've passed the point where it conveniently can be ignored.
Deficits don't matter. Didn't Reagan prove that?
I don't think Reagan, or anyone else, envisioned the kind of deficits run up by Bush 2 and Obama and their respective Congresses. Otherwise, the nation seems to be able to run just fine with a deficit, albeit a manageable one, though what is manageable differs quite a lot for different people.   ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on July 28, 2011, 10:24:24 AM

I don't think Reagan, or anyone else, envisioned the kind of deficits run up by Bush 2 and Obama and their respective Congresses. Otherwise, the nation seems to be able to run just fine with a deficit, albeit a manageable one, though what is manageable differs quite a lot for different people.   ;)

Reagan always had a limited imagination.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 06:03:07 PM

I bet people said that after the first Bush administration.

Yeah, but only goofball Perot voters.

I seriously think the deficit and debt are going to be unignorable by whomever the President and majority parties are until they are decisively dealt with.  "Deficits don't matter" (misguided a statement as it was) may well have been the political reality of 10 years ago, but that era has passed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 28, 2011, 10:24:24 AM

Reagan always had a limited imagination.

Its funny because back in the day the critics said his imagination was too vivid.