Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 10:46:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 10:16:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2011, 09:56:35 PM

I don't think that was the Republican Party.
McVeigh was a registered Republican, though he was leaning toward Libertarian.
So what?  When a black person robs someone, they are robbed by a black person, not the Democratic Party.
How many black robbers are actually involved in politics enough to be registered?

Neil

Quote from: Fate on July 13, 2011, 08:18:37 AM
So what?  When a black person robs someone, they are robbed by a black person, not the Democratic Party.
How many black robbers are actually involved in politics enough to be registered?
Presumably all of them.  Blacks are still driven by machine politics.

Still, it doesn't matter.  When someone commits a criminal act, it's a stain on their personal honour and not that of their political party, especially in a country like the US where there are only two political parties.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2011, 04:27:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
And it goes without saying that I'd rather have her than Obama as Prez.

Strike my last post;  my vote cancels out dergoof's.

Joke's on you, then.  My wife will vote as I tell her, so you need to come up with another vote to cancel out my two :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Ask someone from ACORN.  I'm sure they'll give you the lowdown.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2011, 08:59:33 AM

You still believe that conspiracy shit, even after the videos were found to be edited? :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

It was a political act.  Robbing someone is not a political act.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2011, 09:42:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2011, 09:31:20 PM
He's a complete Clinton clone,

You're a putz.

Does that offend you as a Clinton voter or as an Obama voter?  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 09:05:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2011, 08:59:33 AM

You still believe that conspiracy shit, even after the videos were found to be edited? :lol:

I wasn't talking about the videos.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:25:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 12, 2011, 06:16:15 PM
James K. Galbraith argues that there is in fact no actual crisis beyond that manufactured by political posturing, and that the Debt Ceiling is in fact unconstitional here: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/07/11/the_catastrophic_debt_ceilng_debate/index.html

I've read some rather convincing take downs of that argument. Maybe there is something to the idea that if the debt ceiling isn't increased we will still have to make debt payments from our current revenues, but that doesn't mean people are going to keep getting their medicare (and actually would make it less likely they get their medicare).

Maybe a real lawyer could chime in.

I don't think the 14th amendment argument makes a lot of sense.

However, it does seems to me that if Congress does the following:
1) Directs expenditure of money
2) Refuses to raise revenues sufficient to support those expenditures, and
3) Refuses to authorize issuance of debt,

then it has created a fundamental logical contradiction for the Executive, which has the duty to carry out the laws faithfully.  The Executive can't do all three of those things; it must take some action that is inconsistent with its obligations.  The discussion to date in the media seems to presume that the only way to resolve the problem is for the Executive to repudiate its obligations at least in part with respect to Item 1.  But it is less than clear to me why it is OK to flaunt laws directing expenditure of money but not those directing limits on authorized debt.  All the laws stand in equal dignity.  Thus, if Congress has acted in a way as to force the Executive to break some directive, then it seems to me the Executive should be able to exercise its discretion about which directive to bend.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2011, 09:09:49 AM

Which conspiracy were you thinking of?

Habbaku

Probably the same one that convinces you that McVeigh was under orders from the RNC.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2011, 09:57:50 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2011, 09:09:49 AM

Which conspiracy were you thinking of?

The ones they pled guilty to ;)

Razgovory

You mean where they got fined 5,000?  Wow.  That's something to get worked up about.

MadImmortalMan

:lol:

Here's a funny idea:

http://pragcap.com/lets-end-this-debt-ceiling-debate-with-a-1-oz-1t-coin

"No, Tsy isn't authorized to just "print" money, the Federal Reserve Act gives that power to the Fed, However, the Coinage Act grants the Secretary of the Treasury rather broad coin seigniorage authority. Geithner could sidestep the debt ceiling this afternoon by ordering the West Point Mint to coin a 1 oz. $ 1 trillion coin. Tsy can then present the jumbo coins at the NY Fed to buy back $1 trillion in Fed-held debt (the Fed has to accept it, a creditor can't refuse legal tender paid in to settle a debt):

(h) The coins issued under this title shall be legal tender... (k) The Secretary may mint and issue platinum bullion coins and proof platinum coins in accordance with such specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary's discretion, may prescribe from time to time."
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi