News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Does anyone see the danger of not raising taxes?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 08:15:20 PM
Do you see the danger of punting 10% of GDP deficits and unfunded entitlements down the road year after year after year?

Absolutely. But the way to address that is through the normal budget process. Where as we've discussed the Republicans can completely have their way if they are willing to stick to their guns as any spending requires their sign off.

The problem isn't just whether there is a default--if this is seen as a sign of future long term uncertainty in debt payments, that is going to have a huge negative impact on our budget. With a debt of around $10 trillion (depending on how you want to measure it) fast going to $20 trillion and above, you are talking about an extra $100 - $200 billion a year in interest cost with a 1% interest rate rise. That is financing the Iraq War during the surge type of money, for nothing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:21:23 PM
Seems similar to the danger of radioactive waste compared to the danger of someone threatening to set off a nuclear bomb.

That sounds about right.  Radioactive waste that grows stronger all the time.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2011, 08:24:52 PM
Where as we've discussed the Republicans can completely have their way if they are willing to stick to their guns as any spending requires their sign off.

Puh-lease.  If the GOP were to try the same with a shutdown that went a month, three months, six months, we'd be having the exact same conversation we are now. 

Well, except the part of the conversation where you say the Republicans can completely have their way.

Habbaku

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
Does anyone see the danger of not raising taxes?

I see the danger of not seriously dealing with the deficit and the national debt.  I'm open to tax increases, but not that alone.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 08:28:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2011, 08:24:52 PM
Where as we've discussed the Republicans can completely have their way if they are willing to stick to their guns as any spending requires their sign off.

Puh-lease.  If the GOP were to try the same with a shutdown that went a month, three months, six months, we'd be having the exact same conversation we are now. 

Well, except the part of the conversation where you say the Republicans can completely have their way.

It would depend on how the negotiations were going, but I'd probably conclude that they were assholes. But not the insane lunatics they appear to be now.

The thing is they probably don't have some master scheme behind all of this, relative to whether or not a government shutdown threat or a debt ceiling threat would be more effective during negotiation. We are probably giving them too much credit. What I really think this is about is the no-nothing portion of their base doesn't understand the debt ceiling and is against increasing it, and the House leadership is under a lot of pressure to appear hardcore on spending issues. So they take this stupid stance, and hope Obama tosses them a few bones to bail them out of the nonsense.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

If I wanted to to be a bit more cynical, I'd say they picked this battle rather than the normal shutdown route because they could actually balance the budget if they wanted in a shutdown (and hung together), but they know the public at large has no appetite for that. This way they can hope Obama negotiates a deal that is palatable to the general public, but they still can seem hardcore to the tea party idiots.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2011, 08:26:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:21:23 PM
Seems similar to the danger of radioactive waste compared to the danger of someone threatening to set off a nuclear bomb.

That sounds about right.  Radioactive waste that grows stronger all the time.

Indeed.  The correct response to the cancellation of the Yucca Mountain is to threaten to set off a nuclear weapon in New York.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I wonder, would the GOP be so keen on balancing the budget if they had the presidency and control of both houses of Congress.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:53:35 PM
I wonder, would the GOP be so keen on balancing the budget if they had the presidency and control of both houses of Congress.
Experience tells me:  No.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2011, 09:00:52 PM
Experience tells me:  No.
Experience tells us that there would be promises of budget-balancing right after the conclusion of a splendid little war in the president's first term that would have the troops home by Christmas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2011, 08:00:13 PM
Question for Yi:  Do you see both sides as morally equivalent in this situation?  GOP members threatening to tank the economy unless they get their way and the President's refusal to give in to those demands.  Are these things equal in your mind, or is one worse then the other?

I sincerely hope you aren't looking for morality in politics.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Assuming you're right, so what?  Now we can ignore the deficit?

Admiral Yi