Main Menu

Fast Train Coming

Started by Savonarola, April 16, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

QuoteObama: Put Detroit on track for high-speed rail
Federal grants may help provide more transportation option
By TODD SPANGLER • FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF • April 16, 2009
WASHINGTON – A high-speed rail corridor through the industrial Midwest – linking Toledo, Detroit, Chicago and more – is one of the potential recipients of billions of dollars in funding in federal grants announced Thursday morning by President Barack Obama.

Speaking in Washington before departing on a trip to Mexico, Obama said the U.S. is putting itself at a competitive disadvantage by not embracing the potential of high speed rail to link parts of the nation, saying France, China and other countries are already ahead of us. He pledged $8 billion in funds from the stimulus bill passed by Congress this year and another $1 billion a year for five years.

"I know Americans love their cars and no one's talking about replacing the automobile," said Obama "But this is something that can be done."

The White House replaced a plan for funding investment in high speed rail, identifying 10 corridors which could receive federal funding. Among them are:

• A Chicago Hub network, which Obama called "something close to my heart" in reference to his adopted hometown, linking much of Midwest, including Toledo and Detroit with Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis-St. Paul, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Louisville, Ky.

• A California corridor, from Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area to Los Angeles and San Diego.

• A Southeast corridor, linking Washington. D.C., with Atlanta and Jacksonville, Fla., and other points along the way.

• A northern New England corridor, from Boston to Montreal but with links to Portland, Maine; New Haven, Conn., and elsewhere.

Other corridors include those designated in the Pacific Northwest; in the south central United States; along the Gulf Coast; through Florida; across Pennsylvania; and from New York City to Buffalo, N.Y.

There is also a chance the existing northeast corridor running from Washington, D.C. north to Boston could receive additional funding through the program.

Obama said the idea is to get states and local communities to put together plans for networks of 100- to 600-mile-long corridors, which will compete for the federal dollars. The federal grants could begin going out as early as September.

Said Obama, in a prepared statement: "My high-speed rail proposal will lead to innovations that change the way we travel in America. We must start developing clean, energy-efficient transportation that will define our regions for centuries to come."

He also said it could create thousands of construction jobs over many years.

"High-speed rail is long-overdue, and this plan lets American travelers know that they are not doomed to a future of long lines at the airports or jammed cars on the highways," he said.

The first round of grants is expected to focus on projects that can be completed quickly, creating jobs quickly. Those programs might include improvements which would take lines where train speeds are already 70 miles per hour and increase them to over 100 m.p.h. The following rounds of funding would then help fund proposals for comprehensive high-speed programs along the identified corridors.

Enthusiasm has been growing in recent months among people pushing for high-speed rail corridors in the U.S., though exactly what would qualify under that description – and how far government funding would go toward making it a reality – is a moving target.

A law passed last year defines high-speed rail as trains that go 110 m.p.h. or more. In the U.S., Acela trains are the fastest – reaching 150 m.p.h. for a short distance in the Washington-to-Boston Amtrak corridor – but average between 68 m.p.h. and 82 m.p.h., according the Government Accountability Office.

That's a lot slower than the trains in Europe and Asia which routinely travel at 150 or even 200 m.p.h.

Getting up to those speeds in the U.S. would cost tens of billions of dollars or possibly a whole lot more than that, requiring new tracks to be laid and new property to be acquired separate from lines for slower moving freight trains or passenger service.

California's proposed 800-mile system, for instance, is expected to cost about $45 billion – far more than all the investment proposed by the Obama administration.

But the federal government program would provide some seed money at least. And making improvements on the Detroit-to-Chicago line that would allow trains to go 110 m.p.h. – and cutting the time needed for the 280-mile trip from about six hours to four – could be far less expensive, with some reports pegging the price at about $1 billion.

Contact TODD SPANGLER at 202-906-8203 or at [email protected]. Gannett Washington bureau reporter Raju Chebium contributed to this story.

Why stop at mere centuries?  A thousand year reign of Bullet Trains!

Obama's rhetoric aside; this isn't a bad idea, but it's far removed from the stated objectives of the stimulus bill.  Construction; or even engineering jobs created by this process would be a long way off.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Martinus

You should name your millennial train "Blaine".

Berkut

So the idea is to build trains where they are not needed, so that then people would want to go there?

I cannot see how that could possibly fail.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

QuoteCleveland, Cincinnati,

If the Ohio portion is like its Interstates, the tracks will be covered in orange barrels every spring.

There was a plan in the 60's for a passenger rail system within the state, but it got shot down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 04:28:27 PM
So the idea is to build trains where they are not needed, so that then people would want to go there?
It worked in Sid Meier's Railroads.

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 04:28:27 PM

I cannot see how that could possibly fail.

Other way around. The trains are to get people out of there.

Berkut

Here is an idea for stimulus dollars!

Lets have a "fast ferry" that can run from Rochester to Toronto!

If we build it, they will ride!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Wasn't there an article about how none of this highspeed rail will exist any time in the next couple decades? I think the gist of the article is that 1)the amount of money he allocated for highspeed rail is barely enough for what would be needed for the California rail system; 2) California's rail proposal is the most advanced/likely of all the various proposals and even its fate if very uncertain (without a loan, by summer the comission in charge of the rail system will be bankrupt).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 04:35:09 PM
Wasn't there an article about how none of this highspeed rail will exist any time in the next couple decades? I think the gist of the article is that 1)the amount of money he allocated for highspeed rail is barely enough for what would be needed for the California rail system; 2) California's rail proposal is the most advanced/likely of all the various proposals and even its fate if very uncertain (without a loan, by summer the comission in charge of the rail system will be bankrupt).

If the article is accurate then the total amount of money Obama is proposing is far less than what would be needed for California's system alone. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

vinraith

It's about fucking time. Now can we get an initiative to move some of that truck freight back to the railways too? 

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on April 16, 2009, 04:42:38 PM
If the article is accurate then the total amount of money Obama is proposing is far less than what would be needed for California's system alone. 

Thanks.  I just looked it up

QuoteThere is little argument that compared to other states, California's project – which could wind up costing up to $85 billion, depending on whom you ask – is closest to reality.

For most of its 13-year existence, the rail authority has scuffled along on shoestring budgets. Last week, in fact, the authority got a short-term $29 million loan from the state's Pooled Money Investment Board to carry it through the rest of the fiscal year that ends June 30.

Last November, voters approved a $10 billion bond issue that is supposed to serve as seed money for the system. But because of the dreary economic climate and the protracted state budget battle last fall and winter, none of the bonds have been brought to market yet.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/1772182.html

In other words, whatever, Obama. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on April 16, 2009, 04:47:00 PM
It's about fucking time. Now can we get an initiative to move some of that truck freight back to the railways too?
Nope.  Everything has to be maglevs and blimps going forward.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: vinraith on April 16, 2009, 04:47:00 PM

It's about time for another underfunded program?  We have enough of those already, I think.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Vince

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 04:31:33 PM
Here is an idea for stimulus dollars!

Lets have a "fast ferry" that can run from Rochester to Toronto!

If we build it, they will ride!

The Jets are playing the Bills in Toronto this year.  Perfect!  :yeah:

Grey Fox

I'm all for a train that goes from Montreal to NYC or Boston that doesn't take 12h to do it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.